Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2004, 12:01 PM   #1

Default Opinions: Canon A70 or Oly D560

Hey all. Eventually, I plan on getting a digital rebel but I'm also looking for a smaller, modestly priced point-and-shoot digicam to use in situations where I wouldn't want to bring the Rebel.

I believe I've narrowed my choices down to the A70 and D560. After getting 256MB of memory, the price I can get each (digicam and memory) for comes out to have only about a $20 differential.

The only big things that stick out in my mind are that the A70 has an AF assist lamp and uses CF like the Rebel. Whether or not the point 'n shoot uses the same memory as the Rebel doesn't matter to me. On the other hand, the Oly appears to have a slightly better white balance.

I'm just looking for any opinions. Thanks in advance!
mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:20 PM   #2

Ahh, another can of worms opened.
Well, you'll probably get all the Canon fans telling you to go with the canon and, the Olympus people trying to sway you that way. IMHO, if it were my choice to make and, you're certain you're getting the Rebel, I'd go with the A70. It gives you full manual controls, the AF lamp and a nicer movie mode.
Just my opinion.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:51 PM   #3
DBB

Hi Mofo

Well, I'm a photographer and use a Nikon D1x. However I carry around the 560 in my car just in case....

I love the AUTO White balance on this camera. It's better then my Nikon's.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:51 PM   #4

lol......thanks guys. The big toss up is the Oly's white balance and slightly better color saturation to the manual modes and AF assist lamp of the Canon. i thought about the A80 since it's pictures seemed to be on par with the colors of the 560 but for a small point and shoot, I didn't want to spend that much.

I DO plan on getting a D-Rebel so the manual modes would help me out.

Either way both cameras seem excellent and are reasonably priced. I couldn't really find much on people's problems with the D560 though. I didn't go all the way through the Oly forum but I went back quite a ways.

Incidentally, Office Max (of all places) is selling the D560 for $200 'till the end of this week. The xD card I would get for it would be off B&H. The A70 comes with a 256 MB CF card for $329 + $11 s/h at B&H.

I got a coin somewhere. Maybe I should just flip it!
mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:20 PM   #5

FLIP IT...FLIP IT.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way.
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote