Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 31, 2004, 10:34 AM   #1

Default Camera for Fishing

I am looking for a digital camera when fishing. I plan to view pictures on my monitor and will probably do very little printing.

My most important additional need is to be able to put a polaroid filter on the camera. It would be nice if the camera were as small as reasonably possible. On the other hand I do not want to spend a great deal of money for it. I would like something tha including all accessories would be under $500.00

Any advise?
trout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2004, 11:15 AM   #2

First off welcome to the forums!

Second, there may be a few questions you could answer to help narrow down your choices.

- Are you a beginner or semi-amateur
- Do you want to make prints 8 x 10 (I know you said very little printing will be done).

If you go fishing there is always the chance that your camera may get wet. There are several solutions to this. You could buy a case, make a plastic bag case or Canon and Olympus both make cameras that are waterproof.

It all depends on what you want.

Look at some waterproof cameras here if that interests you:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_wr.html
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 12:03 PM   #3

If your boat is reasonably large with a dry storage area I don’t think waterproof is really necessary. None of my cameras are waterproof and I take them out in the boat regularly.

You aren’t going to find a small inexpensive camera that takes filters. I have good luck with my pocket camera just holding my polarized sunglasses over the lens after I orient them the way I need to eliminate the reflections.

This is an example – the top shot was without the polarized sunglasses and the lower one with: http://www.pbase.com/image/15070822 Look especially at the trim – a big difference. The photo should make it obvious I live in redneck country.

Surely a fisherman uses polarized sunglasses – right?

Just go through these recommended cameras and pick one – they are all good. Click on the camera and you get a review. The bottom of the first page on Steve’s reviews take you to a good price search engine. http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin...tml#bestof2003 And http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM If you narrow it down to 2 or 3 someone can probably help.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 12:05 PM   #4

well. it might not meet all your criteria... but... I love my little Sony DSC-U60... Fun little camera... takes nice pics... and waterproof to 5 feet...

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 2:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSix
First off welcome to the forums!

Second, there may be a few questions you could answer to help narrow down your choices.

- Are you a beginner or semi-amateur

beginner

- Do you want to make prints 8 x 10 (I know you said very little printing will be done).

Not important

If you go fishing there is always the chance that your camera may get wet. There are several solutions to this. You could buy a case, make a plastic bag case or Canon and Olympus both make cameras that are waterproof.

As long as the price disparity is not too great waterproof would be nice but it must be able to use a polaroid filter.

It all depends on what you want.

Look at some waterproof cameras here if that interests you:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_wr.html
Old Jan 31, 2004, 2:45 PM   #6

Will it take a polaroid filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Saginaw
well. it might not meet all your criteria... but... I love my little Sony DSC-U60... Fun little camera... takes nice pics... and waterproof to 5 feet...

Old Jan 31, 2004, 3:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout21
Will it take a polaroid filter?
as slipe mentioned most the small inexpensive camera are not designed for using filters... but i'm sitting here thinking that the sony does have a big flat area and you might be able to very easily figure a way to stick one on...

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 2:25 PM   #8

I am still pursuing the problem with polarized filter.

I went to a photo shop. They recommended Canon A70 and using an adapter which could go on camera and the filter that would fit on it.

What do people think.

Also is ebay and used cameras a reasonable option?
Old Feb 22, 2004, 3:22 PM   #9

The A70 adapter is listed for only close up, wide angle and telephoto use. No mention of filters. You would want your camera shop to put a polarizer on it and make sure it doesn’t vignette at wider angles. That is a problem putting polarizers on some cameras.

Nice camera for your needs otherwise.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote