Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 2, 2004, 6:19 PM   #31

Which brings up a more serious rule: buy as many memory cards as you can afford, and don't buy those with mysterious brand names, something I did just once. Sure, most of the time you can probably get away with using only one or two while you're out shooting, but there are other times when you can't download the pix or when you're mammothly inspired and would dearly love continuing to take pictures. This is a vital rule for those of us who shoot in nothing but uncompressed format.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 10:35 AM   #32

Surgical Rule #452: You will photograph whatever you're looking at. Thus, concentrate on capturing those soft, liquid eyes, and you'll amputate the left (or right) hand. Focus on a person doing something, and when inspecting the result later on, you'll find the person is still doing something, but it'll be a mystery forevermore what, exactly, they're doing this something to.

Simplified version of Rule #452: You're the result of a waggy-tailed puppy mated with Jack the Ripper. Hide your crimes from the world, sifting through them only when you can do it privately so you can cackle and drool. Everyone will think you're perfect.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 10:45 AM   #33

You'll often see amazing pictures from a pro and thing they are great. And then you'll learn that they only get about a 10-15% keeper rate. The rest are not "Good enough". I have a few stunning photos (to me) but they certainly are not represenatitive of the quality of my pictures overall.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 11:02 AM   #34

You're right, Eric, about the professionals, so we shouldn't keep false goals in front of ourselves, thinking that getting one good picture out of 25 means we ought to take up another hobby.

The above "rule" came from taking an absolutely sensational shot of my son playing pool in a darkened room where the light barely glanced off his body, bringing out one of those beautiful dancer-like postures typical of pool players. Too bad I wasn't paying attention to the hand he had extended to support the cue stick. I amputated his fingers. It's a feeling that's akin to the fisherman's lament about the one that got away.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 7:20 PM   #35

Default Here's one we can all relate to

You'll spend more money on accessories that you did on your camera!

Let's hear it for CF, XD, external flash, lights, monopod, tripod, tripod #2, tripod #3, case #1, case #2, batteries, battery charger, image tank etc...)

MrDagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 9:08 PM   #36

Rule number #612:
At the time you have fully grown into your camera a better one is grining at you from the store...
#613 Never rely on your battery meter
#614 Yes, your memorycard was in the memory card reader.
#615 Just when the photo fun starts light turns too dimm.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 9:46 PM   #37

heres a good one:

sit under the basket, and sooner or later you'll get hit with a basketball
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 5:38 AM   #38

Remember that last time you transfered pics through your card reader? Then went out with the camera without a memory card installed and no spare card!

The camera was flashing away merrily for those indoor shots during the day which looked reasonable on the lcd but were all out of focus when you checked on the pc. The Exif data showed that your flash mode was set for slow shutter and you'd missed or didn't understand why the shake warning popped up for flash shots! VOX.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 8:22 AM   #39

There's a trend here reflecting our unerring ability to always be looking left when, in fact, all the action is taking place on the right. Card in card reader, blinking icons telling us the juice is mostly gone, hands about to get amputated, basketballs on the head... Yes, indeed, there's a trend here, and I think it has something to do with the fact that, beneath all the bluff and bluster, we're really just noodleheads. The other obvious thing is that we can and often do laugh at ourselves. This keeps us sane.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 12:16 PM   #40

Of course having your image taken by someone else while discovering you have performing one of these blunders is a completely unacceptable event.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote