Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 31, 2004, 2:56 PM   #1

Default Photo Rules No One Tells You

#1: Take your camera with you and you'll find nothing to photograph.

#2: Reverse of Rule #1.

#3: Go through the trouble of attaching your long lens and you'll suddenly need wide angle.

#4: Reverse of Rule #3.

#5: Never walk around viewing the scene with the camera to your face and the lens zoomed to the max, thinking everything's really farther away than it looks. It is until you walk into a tree.

#6: Wander far afield with your camera, and only when you've reached the farthest point will you realize your bladder is in crisis mode.

There are, of course, many other just as important rules, but these are the ones that come to mind since I experienced all of them this past week.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2004, 3:09 PM   #2

lol :lol:
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 4:48 PM   #3

Plan to take pictures of some distant birds, and discover a batch of wonderful butterflies. And (of course) to lighten your load you didn't bring any close focusing lenses.

Go out at 6am and enjoy taking pictures in the wonderful fog as the shore birds fly in. On the way back at 8am you see a hawk 10 feet away from you. Take a few dozen pictures... only to forget you were at 800ISO from the sunrise pictures. The is almost no detail in the hawks wings because of noise. Remember to check your settings!!!

Spend an hour shooting and then discover that its noon and you brought no water or food.

Remember to charge your camera battery to go shooting in the cold (i.e. less battery life.) After your battery dies, you need to switch... and discover you forgot to charge you backup battery.

Or better yet, remember to charge the backup battery... but forget to take it with you.

Luckly, I've only the first two things have happen to me... but I'm sure the others will eventually.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 5:14 PM   #4

We humans are so pathetic.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 5:21 PM   #5
Administrator

I'm not going to be able to tell this one so that it's funny....

One of the best one's I read in a while (and I think it was here on the forums at steves-digicams.com), was where someone that wore glasses went shooting all day long without them (with a manual focus camera).

Since they were using the camera's focus to correct their vision, all of the photos were out of focus!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 5:24 PM   #6
Administrator

Of course, we all make our share of mistakes. Some of my most carefully taken photos were without the film loaded correctly in a film camera, or with the lens cap left on in a digital camera (without a TTL Viewfinder).

There's nothing like totally black prints to ruin your day, after very careful planning and composition!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 5:51 PM   #7

Default Mmmmm....

One day you drive 50 miles away to a wedding party to take pictures. And you are the only photographer.
On the way you are thinking the money you are giong to make. :lol:
But, when you arrive there, you open your bag all lenses are there but you forgot your camera at home on the table because after cleaning it you forgot to put it in your bag.
Do you think it happens to someone................
Bad luck ha..................... :evil:
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 7:52 PM   #8

lol that happened to me (the missloaded film)
i had a cheap 20 dollar fil camera......no zoom....bare camera......
i went to Yosemite on a vacation.....i took wat i though would've been Gorgeous shots of Half-Dome and the seqoias(spell check?)
buuuut the film didn't catch,.....btw did i tell you i live in New Jersey!??!?! opposite side of the USA from Yosemite (and i'm 15 and can't drive lol) i am going in 2005 back! YAY!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 9:10 PM   #9

i have done the lens cap one a few times 8)
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 10:02 PM   #10

I've had the film not catch a few times. I've sinced switched to digital, but after that I always wound the film back a bit by hand after loading just to make sure it caught.

One of my best pictures on my trip to England was of the inside of my camera bag. You know, it looks different in there when you're in a foreign country.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote