Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 31, 2004, 8:24 PM   #1

Default Diopter adjustment for EVF

I am shopping for a new digital camera and found that many of them have an electronic view finder (EVF) with diopter adjustment.

Is there enough adjustment to correct for over-55 eyesight ?

I would hate to have to rule out the EVF equipped cameras but I know my vision isn't what it used to be.
bencason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2004, 7:45 AM   #2

I have no idea how well it works on other cameras, but my own adjusts perfectly for my over-55 eyes. I can't see close and I can't see far without glasses, but I can see just fine through my camera. Maybe I ought to walk around with the camera permanently glued to my face.

Is there someplace you can go where they have various cameras on display and where you can fool with the adjustment?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 8:18 AM   #3

I am in the same boat ... blind near and far without my glasses

I think Best Buy is a place to check a variety of cameras. I just didn't know that diopter adjustment existed when I was there. I looked at the Canon digital Rebel (no problem since it is optical) and the Kodak 6490 (couldn't see clearly through the EVF). I tried several other cameras with EVF and I could see fine. I didn't know what to think at this point and thought I would ask camera owners on the Net .

Thanks for your response.

I guess I need to go back to Best Buy and browse some more.
bencason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 8:31 AM   #4

Quote:
I guess I need to go back to Best Buy and browse some more.
Sounds like a good idea. I think most cameras these days have small diopter dials by the EVF, so check for them when you handle a camera. I'm not quite in the over-55 crowd yet (one more year), but I can't see the controls or LCD without reading glasses on, and I'd be unable to see the viewfinder at all without the diopter dial.

Uh, [email protected] wjete waz thr ENTER kcy. . .
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 8:54 AM   #5

Norm, your avatar is very different. Is it actual or a composite?
Old Feb 1, 2004, 9:15 AM   #6

Barb, it's just my reflection in an old hard disc drive I disassembled. The drive plates make lovely mirrors.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
The drive plates make lovely mirrors.
I'd say they most certainly do. And with that amber glow, it would be a wonderful mirror for aging females like myself. I wonder where I could pick up a golden mirror.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:17 AM   #8

Quote:
I wonder where I could pick up a golden mirror
Your nearest hard disc drive--coupled with some warm incandescent lights! (Just make sure the HDD isn't needed anymore, since it's a Humpty Dumpty you'll never get to work again!)
Old Feb 1, 2004, 12:29 PM   #9

Just by chance, I have an old hard drive lying around, a very badly behaved hard drive, one that refused to own up to its own mistakes. It would be a pleasure taking it apart, ripping out its innards. :twisted:
Old Feb 1, 2004, 12:40 PM   #10

Age doesnít make as much difference as how much correction you require in eyeglasses. Most diopter adjustment will accommodate anyone who needs anything but cokebottle lenses.

Age usually affects near vision and viewfinders are dependent on far vision. The diopter corrections are for far vision. If you donít have a very large correction in your far vision eyeglasses you wonít have a problem.

What I find is age dependent is the size of the LCD on a camera that requires reference to it for settings. You can make all of your settings in the EVF, but cameras with optical finders require reference to the LCD and larger is better for old eyes unless you always carry reading glasses.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote