Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 21, 2012, 5:11 PM   #1

Default Looking for something like Downloader Pro (Breeze Systems)

I've been using Downloader Pro from Breeze Systems to download images from my cards to my hard drive. I recently switched to a Panasonic FZ150 and it appears that Downloader Pro does not recognize the Panasonic RAW files and will not download the files. I am looking for something inexpensive (free) that would do the same thing.

For those not familiar with Downloader Pro here's the info page.

One of the things I like about Downloader Pro is the ability to give the shoot a name and then download and rename.

Example: If the shoot is called "XYZ High School Senior Portraits"

You can rename the files to "XYZ High - 001.xxx"

The folder structure can be:

(Drive letter) 2012 --> May 2012 --> XYZ High School Senior Portraits

Does anyone know of software that would accomplish something similar?

Thank you
Photog4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2012, 6:01 PM   #2
Administrator

Have you tried using a card reader?

Sometimes newer cameras use PTP connections that won't work with raw files unless an application has camera specific codecs for WIC (Windows Imaging Component) aware applications installed.

From what I can tell, Panasonic does not offer any WIC codecs for that camera. It also looks like it's unsupported by Microsoft's codecs:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=26829

So, you may want to try using the memory card in a card reader as a first step.

Then, if it is a PTP related issue, that would allow Downloader Pro to see it as a USB Mass Storage Compliant Device.

You may also want to check and see if there are any other USB choices in it's setup menus. But, it's becoming very common to see PTP only support in newer cameras. So, sometimes it's easier just to use a card reader instead.

If it is a codec issue, this software may solve it, as your camera is listed as supported, even though Panasonic and Microsoft don't have codecs for it's raw files yet (and you could try it to see if it fixes it before buying it to see if it's a codec related problem, since it's a 15 day trial download.

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

But, you may want to try a card reader and see if they're recognized that way first (so that you'd be using a USB Mass Storage Compliant device versus a PTP connection that may require codecs be installed for third party applications that are WIC compliant).

If those solutions don't work, then it may be that Downloader Pro really doesn't recognize the file names your camera produces (even though I see that it supports Panasonic raw files from what their page about it says, perhaps the file names are different from the newer FZ150).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 6:29 PM   #3

Have you tried Irfanview? This is a very flexible program, and I think it will do what you are looking for. I don't use it that way myself, so am not 100% positive.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 5:33 AM   #4

Jim:

Yes, I do use a card reader.

I think you may have hit on something with the codecs. I did find a codec for the Panasonic "RW2" files. I downloaded and installed the codec and can now see file previews within Windows Explorer.

After I started this thread last night, I heard from the author of the software and he said that the version of my software does not recognize Panasonic RW2 files. There is a newer version that will handle RW2, however, the upgrade is $20 and the software hasn't been updated since November 2010. I am hesitant in spending $20 on something that hasn't been updated in (almost) two years. This is why I am exploring other options.

I like Downloader Pro because it is capable of organizing your photos based on many different criteria. An example would be if you have two different model cameras. I have both a Panasonic FZ150 and a TZ5. With Downloader Pro, it can be told to recognize the two different cameras and put FZ150 files into a FZ150 folder and TZ5 files into a TZ5 folder.

VT: I haven't tried Irfanview. I will check into it.

I have Lightroom 3 and I haven't really explored the import functions because I have always used Downloader Pro pre-Lightroom.

Thank you
Old May 22, 2012, 9:17 AM   #5
Administrator

If .rw2 is a it's a new filename extension added since the version you have, then the author of Download Pro probably just needed to add it to a list, along with anything unique about the folder structure that camera uses so the program would know where to find the files for importing and renaming functions.

If you like it's features, $20 doesn't seem too bad for a version that works with your camera.

Personally, I just move files manually (copy and paste) into folders (using yyyymmdd for a folder naming structure), keeping the original file names (as I don't like to modify anything about my original files), then exporting or saving to subfolders using more descriptive naming after any processing. But, lots of people like to use Downloader type programs.

I use Linux most of the time (machines setup in multiboot configs with Win 7 and Linux on them), and there are some similar programs available for Linux. For example, this one:

http://www.damonlynch.net/rapid/index.html

But, I've never bothered with them.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 1:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
If you like it's features, $20 doesn't seem too bad for a version that works with your camera.
Yep, it's a good program! I just wanted to see if something newer was available. Software that is 1 1/2 years old is a long time when we're dealing with technology.