Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 27, 2012, 11:37 PM   #1

Default Camera repair services

I posted in another link that the sersor on my Sony is dirty. I tried some elementary sets to try and blow off the dust, but it's more than that and I just don't trust myself. Can anyone suggest a service that will handle this. My city doesnt have but one pro line store and they won't do it.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2012, 2:38 AM   #2

Honestly, cleaning a sensor isn't a big deal. You have to really screw up in order to do any damage, like maybe drop a cresent wrench in there.

See http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 5:31 PM   #3

G'day mate

Have to agree with TC ... & the copperhill kit works wonderfully for me too
The Copperhill instructions are great & it works okay -
My 1st sensor clean was pretty scary, I have done it 1/2 dozen times now to get the hang of it - made a mess once but cleaned it up very easy ... I would recommend you go down this path, you'll be okay too

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 8:44 PM   #4

Well, I bought the copperhillimages Mega kit and the sensor looked worse after its use thn before. I like to think I'm a reasonably provident in such things but I will admit to being worried about messing up something that will cost hundreds to fix.
Old May 29, 2012, 5:25 PM   #5

G'day Outhouse

It's okay mate - learning curve stuff - it happened to me too
Too much cleaning liquid on the spatula & it left 'drops' on the sensor
Did it again - twice !! but it's as clean as a whistle now
For me in the motorhome, I have airborne dust all around me all the time > so I had to take extra precautions to not make it worse

Be patient & you'll get there
Regards, Phil
Old May 29, 2012, 6:13 PM   #6

Well, I'm going to give it another go and then if that doesn't work to my satisfaction, I found a local source, that is nationally known, that is going into sensor cleaning.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Outhouse

It's okay mate - learning curve stuff - it happened to me too
Too much cleaning liquid on the spatula & it left 'drops' on the sensor
Did it again - twice !! but it's as clean as a whistle now
For me in the motorhome, I have airborne dust all around me all the time > so I had to take extra precautions to not make it worse

Be patient & you'll get there
Regards, Phil
That is exactly what happened to me! I didn't realize it until you mentioned it. After I cleaned it, I looked at it with my magnifying glass and it was like water stains. I only used 2 drops but possibly I didn't wait long enough.
Old May 30, 2012, 5:24 PM   #8

G'day mate

I have 2 SLRs - the Pentax and the Panny G2 > Since getting the G2, the Kx just lives in a box
Even tho each camera has lenses swapped regularly, the Kx seems to attract dust like nobody's business - a constant problem, dunno why

So when I got dust bunnies becoming evident on too many images, and the internal self-clean gizmo wouldn't shift the last one or two bits, it was down to other methods - enter Copperhill on other 'togs recommendations

The 1st sensor clean was bloody-frightening - by the 10th I just get on & do it

I have found that 2 drops of cleaner is too much > contrary to my eyesight of the cleaning patch & common sense!!

After swabbing I test by one of two methods
daytime - using iso-200, 1/60s x f22, +MF ... I point the camera skywards and take 2 or 3 shots, set the computer screen to 100% and look for dust bunnies
evening - using iso-200, 1-sec x f22 + MF ... I point the camera to a white side wall and move the camera around during the exposure to blur anything in focus, thus leaving the dust bunnies to be stationary on the sensor

At 100% it is easy to see both the dust bunnies AND the woeful-horrible streaks when I've overdone the treatment

The streaks took 3 goes to clean it again to get it right > so much for 2-drops of cleaner liquid !!!

ps- really there is little wrong with the pentax - I want the small body size of the G2, so I just don't want the Kx anymore. the 2 other lenses & flashgun have been sold, only the body + the siggy 18-125 remains for sale > maybe I'll give it away to the kids
Regards, Phil
Old May 31, 2012, 9:06 PM   #9

I need to post an update to my situation. When I returned from my vacation and found spots in the same places on most of my pictures, I did some research, pondered sending my camera off to have it cleaned and then decided to invest in the Copperhillimages Mega kit.

I was hesitant at first but finally took the plunge. I will say, the sensor was far dirtier before I started than it was after my first cleaning. The sensor was still dirty so I put it away and read the instructions again multiple times. I gave it a go again and it was cleaner the second time than the first, but it still wasn't clean.

I stated that my home town really doesn't have a pro line camera store, but we are blessed to be home to Lens Rental.com. They have some great tutorials on line, including one on sensor clearing. I contacted them and they agreed to clean my sensor. In fact, the President of the company handled it himself.

When I picked up my camera today, he told me he had never seen a sensor that dirty before. Did I contribute to the mess? Possibly but I do think it was better than it was before I started. It was also cool to see the insides of this neat place. We are planning a trip next year to Yellowstone and I will definitely rent a super zoom from Lensrental.com!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:44 PM   #10

G'don-ya mate

Well done - good solution overall > and from those of us who already know the fabulous convenience & photographic benefits from a superzoom ... why wait till next year ???

Regards, Phil