Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:27 PM   #1

Default Multi Cameras - Getting Photos in Chronological Order

I am working an event this weekend (Relay For Life) in which I will be using two cameras and have at least 2 memory cards to upload. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 and use Windows XP. My requirements are that I get the photos filed to DVDs in chronological order (name them with number titles such as 001, 002 etc or the event name 001 event name 002 etc). I am not supposed to split the photos by camera and memory card..........

Once I do the edits needed, how do I get the two or more memory cards to put the photos in chronological order so I can do a batch rename (to change the titles over to numbers) in what I would call time order. I know that wedding photographers do this all the time using 2 bodies and having a second shooter but I haven't figured out how to do it with Adobe Photoshop Elements yet.

Thanks for any and all help you can give me.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:18 PM   #2

There are some photo editting programs that have batch file renaming capabilities, where they can name your files after the date and time in the EXIF data. Do you think that will do the trick?

Last edited by TCav; Jun 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM. Reason: sp
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:40 PM   #3

This is doable using Irfanview, and shouldn't be too difficult. You may be able to do it from the OS, but I'm not on my XP box right now, so can't say for sure. However you decide to do this don't delete the originals until you have verified you have completed the task the way you want it.! You probably know this, but it is always worth repeating.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
There are some photo editting programs that have batch file renaming capabilities, where they can name your files after the date and time in the EXIF data. Do you think that will do the trick?
yeah that would do the trick if I had a program I knew could do that. The best thing I can figure out with Photoshop Elements is to edit first have everything in one folder and import the folder into organizer and then sort by oldest date-time and then batch process from there......
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
This is doable using Irfanview, and shouldn't be too difficult. You may be able to do it from the OS, but I'm not on my XP box right now, so can't say for sure. However you decide to do this don't delete the originals until you have verified you have completed the task the way you want it.! You probably know this, but it is always worth repeating.

brian
Thanks for the reply, very good advise that is always worth repeating. I'll check into Irfanview now
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post

brian
Thanks I was able to download it and ran a small test. It seems to do the job. Thanks a million for posting the info. I'll report back Monday or Tuesday how this process went for me.

dave
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:59 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Sounds like you got your answer. I use lightroom or Breezebrowser pro for all my renaming work. Hope the event goes well!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 5:59 PM   #8

G'day P5

The above solutions work but there is a very easy way to do it in Windows...

images from camera-1 ... load to empty folder > select all > rename starting with 201
images from camera-2 ... ditto > ditto > 301
now merge all images > sort by date & time taken [numbers are now all mixed up] > rename all with new continuous numbering from 101

Now your clients can view all images with contiguous numbering starting at 101 and all done in 1-minute flat out

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:28 PM   #9

... presuming that there aren't more than 100 photos from camera-1, that's a very simple and elegant solution.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 5:22 PM   #10

Thankyou TC ... yes the 101 > 201 > 301 etc numbering system is the style of things & I presume that our OP would quickly work out whether s/he needs to use 1001 > 2001 > 3001 etc

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote