Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:09 PM   #1

Default FF vs New Lens

Is there any merit in just getting a full frame body to compliment my 7D instead buying another lens or two? I was looking at getting a wider prime to compliment my 50mm when I started wondering if maybe just looking for a 5Dc would be the better answer. Sometimes you see some really great prices on them and in regards to my EF lenses it would be like gaining a whole new assortment of lenses. My 50mm would really be a 50mm instead of just an 80mm on the 7D. Likewise, my 200mm would really be 200 instead of 320. The change in DOF can be a pro/con depending upon the situation so that's a wash in my mind. I know that it is a much older body and everything is slower on it (computer, FPS, lower ISOs, etc) but just can't shake the feeling that it is the better route. It seems to be a good financial decision and may even prove to be a challenging photographic direction too. Thoughts???

I couldn't decide if this should be in the camera body or camera lens section so just dropped it here.
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:51 PM   #2

What do you want to do now, that you can't with what you have?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:13 PM   #3

I wanted a longer lens than my 17-55/2.8 so saved up and got a 200/2.8. I love the shots I've been able to get with it and regularly use it when taking walks since the added distance gives you the feeling of being less obtrusive. But lately I've been finding myself wishing I had something a little shorter than 200/2.8 - for those times when you literally have your back against the wall and have difficulty getting everything in the frame. Additionally, I was starting to look at getting a fairly fast 35mm or 28mm for when I wanted the feel of my 50/1.4 but needed some extra width. Don't get me wrong, I love my 17-55/2.8 but sometimes that faster lens in the 50/1.4 helps out at night.

Since I was looking at both scenarios, I started to look at the possibility of getting a 5Dc instead of two new lenses. It seems like it would mostly solve my dilemmas while also giving more experimentation options. Both use the same CF and battery so that seems like a good thing.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:50 PM   #4

How many ef-s lenses do you have?
They can not be used on a full frame body.

Also the original 5D uses a bp-511a battery, the 7d uses a LP-E6 battery
which is the same one found in the 5D-mkii and 5d-mkiii.
That said the original 5d was a great camera body.

Last edited by PeterP; Jun 19, 2012 at 8:52 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:27 AM   #5

It sounds like a 70-200/2.8 and a 35/2.0 would solve your problems without the extra size and weight of a FF frame camera. Nothing you've said would make me thing you needed a 'Full Frame' body.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:04 PM   #6

PeterP - thanks for the heads up on the battery. Most of my Google searches told me that it took the same one..but maybe some of the websites just shortened the 5DMII to the 5D.

TCav - I agree that it would be nice to have a 70-200 but I'm having a hard time deciding between which version. I still am a believer that speed beats IS, so I'm leaning towards the f/2.8 ones. I can't see me finding the money to get the IS version so probably the nonIS would be choice on that.

I guess I thought that having the 5D would expand my focal length options and spend considerably less than getting a few more lenses.

Thanks for the advice from both of you - I'll keep kicking it around and probably come to a decision in the next month or two.