Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:47 AM   #21

You have hit on a good point Mito. While I dont bother looking much at the HDR forum Im sure its like other sites where every file that has been monkeyed with is thrown in the same HDR pot. The idea of HDR is to create an image that simply has a wider dynamic range than any single exposure. An HDR is a combination of TWO or MORE photos with different shutter speeds, thus creating a wider range than any of the photos of which it is made. Unfortunately tone mapping is necessary and there is the rub. Single files (jpeg and raw) are just tone mapped and called HDR. Every piece of crap, by accident, inexperience or, dog forbid, on purpose, is put in the same pot. The HDR Forum should be for the good stuff and the rest should be in the Digitally Altered Images folder. Just my opinion and Im sure there are those who disagree.

Last edited by Bynx; Jul 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:52 PM   #22

Many of the folks here are not really looking for criticism, but just want a place to share photos with others. The camera specific forums are nice for this, because we don't get the "It would be better with MY brand of camera." kind of arguments within these forums.
If you are really looking for critique of your work, post it in the Critiques forum. If you don't get any feedback at all, try a different picture. There are lots of photos, and, often, only those that are outstandingly bad, or outstandingly good, get comments. The best way to get feedback, is to ask a specific question about the photo, as to composition, cropping, or some other aspect. This will get people to look more closely than just a general "Is this good?" question.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Many of the folks here are not really looking for criticism, but just want a place to share photos with others. The camera specific forums are nice for this, because we don't get the "It would be better with MY brand of camera." kind of arguments within these forums.
If you are really looking for critique of your work, post it in the Critiques forum. If you don't get any feedback at all, try a different picture. There are lots of photos, and, often, only those that are outstandingly bad, or outstandingly good, get comments. The best way to get feedback, is to ask a specific question about the photo, as to composition, cropping, or some other aspect. This will get people to look more closely than just a general "Is this good?" question.

brian
Couldn't agree with you more. Many posters that post images here tend not to like critiques or comments other than great shot, Wow, or some other accolade. In reality, most of the photos aren't all that interesting, unique, or ones that prompt me to respond. When I did respond to and posted my suggestions as to how to improve the image, I was surprised by either the lack of acknowledgment or simply the poster explaining that this was the effect he was after and he saw nothing that needed improvement.

And yes, if you're really looking for comments, be specific as to what you would like the viewer to comment on. You'll get honest responses and advice if your narrow down what it is that you're looking for

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:10 PM   #24

Point taken. I don't have many photos to post, I don't get a great deal of opportunity to get out and also of those I have taken, mainly local wild plants around the house, I don't think are good enough to post. Let me get a bit further up the learning curve. I'm still finding buttons an the camera that I didn't know existed last week!

Fujifilm HS20-EXR & Pentax K20D
18-55 mm DA & 28-200 Sigma 3.5/5.6 ex SLR

My Flickr account
Mito is offline   Reply With Quote