Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:44 PM   #1

Default Cameras and GPS

Ive heard of linking cameras to gps devices. Do these devices actually embed lat/log data in the digital file? The reason I'm asking is I take a long range fishing trip annually out of San Diego and we typically travel 500+ miles south and fish 200-300 miles offshore and it would be interesting to track pictures of fish caught year to year. If it matters, I have a Siny A580.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:10 AM   #2

The GPS devices do embed the geo data in the EXIF data of the file. They arent cheap, but can come in handy for such a situation as you have. Also great to know where exactly a pic was taken when out in the woods where street signs arent available.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:45 AM   #3

There are GPS devices that can attach directly to a camera, and there are GPS devices that you simply keep with you along with the camera, and when you return, you can use some piece of software to feed the lat/log into the EXIF data of a photo that was taken at the same date and time. You should make sure the clock in your camera is correct, though it's not essential since most programs have a method of adjusting for errors in the camera's clock.

The A580 doesn't have its own GPS device like some other of Sony's cameras, so you'd need a seperate device. You'll need one that stores the Track Log of where you've been. Smartphones, even GPS Enabled Smartphones, don't generally have that capability.

Once you get the Track Log fromt he GPS device and the photos from your memory cards onto the same computer, you can use a program like Microsoft's Pro Photo Tools to do the grunt work.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:57 PM   #4

Usually external GPS devices that embed the lat/long in the file are specific to particular cameras (i.e., they will only work with certain models and certain brands). So one that works with a Nikon camera won't work with a Pentax, and the one that Pentax makes only works with certain models of Pentax cameras. I think many are like the one Pentax makes in that it mounts onto the hot shoe.

I'm not crazy about adding something to my camera, so I geotag my photos using a separate GPS device I carry on my belt (I have a hand-held Garmin mapping GPS, but there are other GPS devices that can save the track that are smaller). Then I use software on my computer to match the photos with the track and save the coordinates in the file. As TCav pointed out, you have to make sure your GPS and your camera have the same time set (I check each time I start out). Lightroom 4 added the ability to geotag pictures from tracks, so I no longer use the separate software I had been using - one less program/step to do. It works very well for me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:26 AM   #5

i have a nikon aw100 which has built in gps, i take this camera with me everywhere, my iphone does the same thing, when im out with my dslr ill take a quick snap with my iphone or the nikon as well, that way if i want to add the tags to my dslr pics later i have them on hand.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:32 AM   #6

Outhouse will be fishing "200-300 miles offshore". Chances are his Smartphone won't get a good geographic fix. Phones generally use the positions of cellular towers to determine their own position, and can't use GPS satellites as well as conventional GPS devices can.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Outhouse will be fishing "200-300 miles offshore". Chances are his Smartphone won't get a good geographic fix. Phones generally use the positions of cellular towers to determine their own position, and can't use GPS satellites as well as conventional GPS devices can.
the iphone 4 and many other smartphones with GPS only use A-GPS (assisted GPS) because it allows them to get a faster initial fix, they dont need cellular towers, its just a bonus. they work perfectly well outside network coverage, they just take a while longer to lock onto the satelites as do many stand alone GPS devices, but once they have a fix they work just as well and the accuracy is only down to the gps chip itself and not whether it has a cellular signal.
the best thing to do would be check if your phone does need the cellular signal or not on the manufacturers website or try it yourself like i did
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote