Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 4, 2004, 11:23 AM   #1

Default should the flash on digicams produce smoke? mine does

i got a canon a70 recently, and since the beginning I've noticed the flash is quite noisy. On the medium flash brightness, there is an audible 'pop' when the flash goes off. But when set it to full brightness, the pop is louder and I sometimes see a bit of smoke come from the flash. This is followed by a slight burning smell.

I'm very new to photography so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. But my friends G3 has none of these symptoms. So my question is: is this normal? And do the flash mechanisms on digital cameras wear out? Also, what is the smoke I see right after taking a photo with the brightest flash setting?

i should add that ive taken well over a thousand flash pictures by now.
Fappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2004, 11:37 AM   #2

Not normal at all. If it is still under warranty get it serviced. If you are past warranty and can avoid the pop and smoke by lowering the flash to medium I would do it or you probably arenít going to have a flash at all.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 3:11 PM   #3

Unless the pop sound is unusually loud I would say it is normal but the smoke isn't. The two cameras I have now (film and digital) make a popping noise when the flash goes off. But it is only noticeable with the camera to my face, not from some distance away. And also it is most noticeable in the digital camera because it makes less shutter noise (practically none) than the film camera.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 5:54 PM   #4

It sounds like you have a loose connection or cold solder joint to your strobe tube. Will not catch on fire, but will probably fail when the gap is too great.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 7:49 PM   #5

Smokescreen for taking candid shots. :lol: Just kidding...but seriously you will want to have someone take a look at that.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:59 AM   #6

That could be a good selling point on eBay!

COOL SMOKE EFFECT w/FLASH!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:01 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
I may have exaggerated with the noise and smoke. The flash produces only the tiniest amount of smoke, which is only visible under certain light. And the pop isn't frighteningly loud, but still quite audible.

I'm still wondering if the flash mechanisms on standard cameras wear out though?
Fappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 1:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fappy
I'm still wondering if the flash mechanisms on standard cameras wear out though?
Rarely. They usually outlast the camera.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 1:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fappy
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
I may have exaggerated with the noise and smoke. The flash produces only the tiniest amount of smoke, which is only visible under certain light. And the pop isn't frighteningly loud, but still quite audible.

... thinking about something, could be some dirt around (or inside) the bulb housing. thiny dirt particiles can burn and produce smoke , but one or two times only, not repetitively . A full blow of a flash near plastic things ( a chair cover for example) can get it hot enough to produce some smoke.

About wear out, the mechanical aspect depends on your use and the quality of the product. Electronicaly , the only part that could wear out is the capacitor (it dries out) . But my 45CT-1 (first generation of Metz 45) is more than 20 years old, and still runing. Extended no use period can make the capacitor dried out, but can be "reconditionned" by repetitive charge and discharge.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote