Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:22 PM   #1

Default New hi-speed SD card in "old" camera?

Hi guys,

Today I bought a Panasonic FH8 ultra-compact camera. I wanted this camera to replace my "old" Nikon Coolpix S500 (this is a camera from 2007). However I was dissapointed with the image quality of the Panasonic, so for now I'll stick to my old and trusted Nikon which has way better image quality. I will return the Panasonic camera.

Along with the Panasonic camera I also bought a 16GB hi-speed class 10 SD card. I haven't opened the packaging yet. I tested the Panasonic camera with the 2GB SD card of my old Nikon Coolpix S500.

Tomorrow I will return the Panasonic camera, but I wonder if I should keep the 16GB hi-speed SD card to use it in my Nikon Coolpix S500 camera.

I wonder if this is possible. Can I use the 16GB hi-speed class 10 card in my Nikon camera? Or will this cause problems? I already checked the manual of the Nikon Coolpix S500, but all it says is that it needs an SD card... it doesn't say anything about size (the amount of GB) or speed. Does anyone know if it is "safe" to put the 16GB card in my Nikon? I want to be sure before I open the packaging.
Ozzie SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:03 PM   #2

Sorry to hear the FH8's IQ was not up to your expectations- though it's not the first time I've heard of someone struggling to match the IQ of a lower mp/older camera- and the S500 was a nice little compact. The curse of high megapixel count strikes again..!!

With regards the card- it seems the "old" S500 accepts SDHC cards....
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/compatible...0_Memory_Cards

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...Tabs-TechSpecs

Last edited by SIMON40; Jul 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:08 PM   #3

Thanks Simon.

SDHC means hi-speed? So this means I can use the 16GB card without any problems?

(indeed the Panasonic's IQ was not what I expected. The Nikon has less megapixels but IQ is way better. I wonder how it is possible that a 5 year old camera beats a 2012 camera. Isn't that strange?)
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:20 PM   #4

SDHC means "high capacity"- cards of 4GB and above are classed as HC.
You should nave no problem with the speed classification- I think...!

High megapixel counts is about marketing- most think "more is better"- hence better sales.
Though on baby sensors such as in compacts- more is rarely better.
Look at the current "high end" compacts- such as Panasonic's LX-5,Canons S100,Olympus's XZ-1,the Nikon P7100,Canon's G12 and so on- all using "only" 10-12mp.... and even Panasonic's latest offering- the LX-7,which isn't even on the shelves yet has "only" 10 megapixels.
Kinda tells the story doesn't it..!!

Seem less really is more....!!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:26 PM   #5

Thanks! I will give the card a try then! I assume that if I take 1 picture and this works well... that that is enough to conclude the card works? It's not that it will fail all of a sudden after shooting 100 pictures or something?

I agree that the amount of megapixels is a marketing trick. All the well-known brands such as Nikon and Canon have these nice little compact cameras with 16 megapixels... I've seen sample images and they are not good at all. I also saw some (in size reduced) samples of the FH 8 and they appeared to be quite decent in a small format. But in real-life they ain't good either. So for now I'll have to stick to my Nikon. I have not yet been able to find a very small camera with good IQ to replace my Nikon. Too bad I don't have HD movies now... but at least I have some decent pictures...
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:29 PM   #6

If it fails- then sue Nikon USA- as it says SDHC compatible- with no exceptions...!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:30 PM   #7

hehe... lol

Well thanks... will bring back the FH8 tomorrow
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:23 PM   #8

G'day both of you fellas

My 1st digi camera was the Fuji - S5000 and it was "only" 3mpx tho it had a menu option for interpolating pixels up to 6mpx .... tried it and didn't use it again

But that "only" 3mpx camera x its 14x zoom, no image stabilisation needed, was the love of my life till it finally got worn out - and the newer cameras do not come close to its beaut, no-noise, clear pix

So if your old nikon is still clicking away merrily - and it still does what you want it to do > then "feed it to keep it happy & warm" and clicking away merrily
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote