Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
The Nex-7 does. It's not optical, but it has an OLED one.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...75219#features

Yea, the Nex-7 has one.
Sonofagun. You're right. My apologies.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:58 PM   #22

If I remember, the reviews on the pancake were not great. Softer then the 18-55, and the 18-55 was soft as is. They got allot of ribbing with it on the nex 3 and 5 as not being a sharp lens.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I was think nex 5, but the nex 7 is a very good camera with consumer grade lenses. Only if they had more high end lenses like samsung or olympus and panasonic. It would be a force to be reckon with. But like I said, nex lenses are aim squarely at the consumer line, to bad they do not have CZ or G lens with E mounts.

But I think JohnG summed it up on his post in the canon EOS M thread. They compromise for size to keep thing small. The CZ and G lens in a E mount would be like a L lens on a Eos M. Big and bulky because of the aps-c sensor and the larger image circle required.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:10 PM   #24

The Sony E-Mount Primes are pretty good, with the exception of the 16/2.8.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Haha no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If I remember, the reviews on the pancake were not great. Softer then the 18-55, and the 18-55 was soft as is. They got allot of ribbing with it on the nex 3 and 5 as not being a sharp lens.
Quote:
I was think nex 5, but the nex 7 is a very good camera with consumer grade lenses. Only if they had more high end lenses like samsung or olympus and panasonic. It would be a force to be reckon with. But like I said, nex lenses are aim squarely at the consumer line, to bad they do not have CZ or G lens with E mounts.

But I think JohnG summed it up on his post in the canon EOS M thread. They compromise for size to keep thing small. The CZ and G lens in a E mount would be like a L lens on a Eos M. Big and bulky because of the aps-c sensor and the larger image circle required.
Quote:
The Sony E-Mount Primes are pretty good, with the exception of the 16/2.8.
Ok, so the sony 16 2.8 is a no-go. What about the Sigma prime? Basically I want a good lens for most things that is fairly wide angle. I was hoping the 16 2.8 could do that, but maybe not. Here's a link to the Sigma:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_EX_DN.html

Also, has anyone used Snapsort? How fair is it? It basically is saying that the Nex-7 has a better sensor than my 60D. Is this true?

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_60D-vs-Sony-NEX-7
Old Jul 22, 2012, 7:29 PM   #26

sony sensors are accepted to have excellent sensors. And for years nikon and sony camera has always been rated better then the canon. But you really need to pixel peep to even notice that. But glass is more important then sensor with iq.

Optically the sigma is better then the sony pancake. It is a larger lens. It would be a better option then the sony pancake.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 7:50 PM   #27

The Sigma 30/2.8 is better than the Sony 30/3.5 Macro. The Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8 is also very good, but it's also very expensive. The 50/1.8 is pretty good and it's stabilized.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:03 PM   #28

Quote:
sony sensors are accepted to have excellent sensors. And for years nikon and sony camera has always been rated better then the canon. But you really need to pixel peep to even notice that. But glass is more important then sensor with iq.

Optically the sigma is better then the sony pancake. It is a larger lens. It would be a better option then the sony pancake.
Ok. So, how well do you think it would compared compared to my 60D w/ 24-70L? (Normal conditions, like ISO 100, 1/120, etc etc)

Quote:
The Sigma 30/2.8 is better than the Sony 30/3.5 Macro. The Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8 is also very good, but it's also very expensive. The 50/1.8 is pretty good and it's stabilized.
Yea, I was looking at the Zeiss, but 24 isn't wide enough for me. That was the reason I just sold my 24-70L anyways.

Thank you all very much for your help by the way! I really appreciate it. I greatly consider all of your comments. Right now I'm leaning more towards selling my Canon gear and getting a Nex-7. But more input on WHAT lenses is always appreciated. Thank you!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:36 PM   #29

Not is the same league as the L lens, it is a consumer grade lens. You are in a whole different photography would with the L lenses. When they have CZ and G lenses for the nex, then you are playing in the same league.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:40 PM   #30

If you want wide and fast, the canon with the ef-s 17-55 2.8 is a great lens. That is almost a L level lens for APS-c. If you do not need a constant 2.8 the 15-85 is a very good lens with a great fl range for aps-c. Sony does not have any e mounts in these lenses IQ level.