Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:35 AM   #1

Default Cameras In 5 years

I thought it might be interesting to see where others think digital cameras will be in terms of features and mega-pixel in 5 years (Summer of 2017).

My thoughts:
MegaPixel - 40MP will pretty much be standard for D-SLR at top resolution with options for 21, 16, 12 and 10. Also the top of the line say Full Frame Canon and Nikon (the Cannon Mark 10 DII or the Nikon D10 just a guess at the names) will pack 60MP with options for 40, 36, 21, 16 and 12MP

The Top Off The Line Pro Full Frame Cameras will have the battery grip built in and will hold a total of 2 hybrid type batteries that can shoot 5,000 frame. The cameras will have an SDXC and 2 CF or Sony's new what ever it is called that is replacing the CF slot in the Nikon newest camera. The camera will also have wi-fi built in so that images are loaded direct to a computer or internet site via hot spot in real time.

The 128GB Memory card will be what the 16GB card is today; someone will be selling a 500GB and a 1TGB memory card CF and SDXC

D-SLR will be come the standard form factor for digital cameras (bridge and Point and Shoot will have less sales than they do today)

ISO 50 - 25,400 standard with stunning images at ISO 6400 and very good images at 12,800

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:06 AM   #2

Hmm... 5 years...? Hard to say....
Megapixel counts will,no doubt,be galactic- though will that be necessary..?
I'm pretty sure movie capture will be pretty spectacular- and maybe contrast detection AF will be as fast as phase detection.
To be honest- when I look at DSLR's these days- I don't think one could ask for much more- especially mid to high end models.
They all have great image quality,very good high iso noise control,fast AF's,fast burst/continuous modes,fast processors and large buffers...etc...

The only thing I'd like to see change- but is unlikely- is the use of ever lighter materials in DSLR's- especially the entry level models- they just feel too "cheap"...!!
Also,you can never have too much dynamic range,can you...(without using HDR...!!)
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:45 AM   #3

Dave - I guess I disagree about DSLR being the common form factor. Society today loves convenience and DSLRs are not convenient. The great masses don't want to be "photographers" they want to take good pictures. But they want to do so with convenience. Even today, for a large portion of the population a DSLR doesn't add much value. I think you've got a lot of people buying DSLRs now because it's a new electronic toy. But it's very inconvenient. After a number of months they regress back to digicam for "good enough" results in more convenient package. Smart phones are now encroaching on that market too. I expect mirrorless ILC to take over entry level DSLR. I expect mirrorless to eventually take over much of the DSLR market.

I also expect the market to shrink. Too much competition right now - margins probably becoming too small for everyone to remain.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:08 AM   #4

It's easy to predict the future.

the tough part is being right.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:20 AM   #5

I think JohnG pretty much nailed it. The people I know who used to carry P&S cameras now use their cell phones or iPads -- both of which are surprisingly capable now. I rather expect P&S to disappear in relatively short order. As to dSLRs, I expect that they will hang on for the foreseeable future, but it sure seems that the marginal manufacturers will have to get out of the business.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:10 PM   #6

I'm going for ocular implants and direct upload to the cloud while you sleep.
Resistance is futile, you will record and share everything you see with the mass social media.

Last edited by PeterP; Jul 25, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 2:17 PM   #7

You'd still have to be awake and mobile. I would opt for the hovercam with random flight path and aesthetic subroutine. Send it out to take great pictures while you do something else.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:48 PM   #8

Ah a non-believer in the good of joining the collective!

Maybe one of these autonomous (and inexpensive) drones then
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/07/17/...to-the-masses/
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Dave - I guess I disagree about DSLR being the common form factor. Society today loves convenience and DSLRs are not convenient. The great masses don't want to be "photographers" they want to take good pictures. But they want to do so with convenience. Even today, for a large portion of the population a DSLR doesn't add much value. I think you've got a lot of people buying DSLRs now because it's a new electronic toy. But it's very inconvenient. After a number of months they regress back to digicam for "good enough" results in more convenient package. Smart phones are now encroaching on that market too. I expect mirrorless ILC to take over entry level DSLR. I expect mirrorless to eventually take over much of the DSLR market.

I also expect the market to shrink. Too much competition right now - margins probably becoming too small for everyone to remain.
Very good point once you think about it
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:11 AM   #10

how about this canon release new xxxd announce a new xd and 3 more lenses
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote