Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2004, 3:55 PM   #1

Default My Sony DSC-S50 died, focus lousy on Olympus C-740

I had a Sony DSC-S50 which worked great till two weeks ago it contracted the C:13:01 memory stick disease. So I got an Olympus C-740 for the great optical zoom. Sadly, I can't get a single unblurred photo unless I have the camera stuck down firmly on some surface, and I'm not about to go through my day carrying a tripod and hoping everything holds still long enough for me to set it up. I'm really learning to hate this camera.

My question: I loved the Cybershot S50, except for its crappy optical zoom level (if you're in the back of a room, forget taking pictures of the speaker in the front of the room!) I just want a camera that will let me zoom in on something, either macro or at least 5x optical, and get a focused photo. I've given up on the C740 and will be returning it. I think what I need is a camera with a stabilizing function along with a focus that doesn't keep shifting like the Andromeda Strain. Recommendations would be much appreciated.
kettir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2004, 4:12 PM   #2

If you love the long zoom, you could look into the Panasonic DMC-FZ10, it has optical image stabilization. So you could take pictures handheld that are unblurred. And it has a really nice manual focus feature; it bloats up the center of the image, so you have enough detail to make sure you are focusing on the right thing (because most LCD are not detailed enough to use manual focus accurately). Although the focus ring is a touch over-sensitive, but that is something that you can get used to.

I have ordered one and it should arrive sometime soon . I hope it lives up to my expectations
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 4:15 PM   #3

The panasonic FZ10 and the Minolta A1, current market, are the only cameras that have some form of image stablization.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:55 PM   #4

I think it is a bit unfair to blame the camera because you have trouble holding it steady at full zoom. Same problem would exist with any camera at the same focal length except perhaps for those with IS.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 2:11 AM   #5

I don't think it's unfair to blame the camera at all. I had the same problem with the 750 in focus then jump out (and yes I hated it and it went back). The FZ10 is a keeper for a long zoom.

Kayd
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 9:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinblue
If you love the long zoom, you could look into the Panasonic DMC-FZ10, it has optical image stabilization. So you could take pictures handheld that are unblurred. And it has a really nice manual focus feature; it bloats up the center of the image, so you have enough detail to make sure you are focusing on the right thing (because most LCD are not detailed enough to use manual focus accurately). Although the focus ring is a touch over-sensitive, but that is something that you can get used to.

I have ordered one and it should arrive sometime soon . I hope it lives up to my expectations
That sounds pretty sweet. I just looked at the Panasonic site for a description. When do you expect the camera to arrive? I'd love to hear what you think of it before I spend the money. If I can manually set the focus, especially with a manual focus ring, and have it STAY there that would be so great--the "press the button halfway and hold it to keep the focus" just didn't work out for me on the Olympus C740; the button is too sensitive and it's too easy to let go.

-update- I checked for local stores carrying this model. The shops listed on the Panasonic store finder don't have it anymore. So if I get this I'll be buying online. Recommendations on a good online source that is reputable and is helpful if something is wrong with the product?
Old Feb 6, 2004, 1:04 PM   #7

There are plenty of members here who have a FZ10. Go to the Panasonic board and read back through the past couple of months. There is a lot of discussion about the camera.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 3:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettir
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinblue

That sounds pretty sweet. I just looked at the Panasonic site for a description. When do you expect the camera to arrive? I'd love to hear what you think of it before I spend the money. If I can manually set the focus, especially with a manual focus ring, and have it STAY there that would be so great--the "press the button halfway and hold it to keep the focus" just didn't work out for me on the Olympus C740; the button is too sensitive and it's too easy to let go.

-update- I checked for local stores carrying this model. The shops listed on the Panasonic store finder don't have it anymore. So if I get this I'll be buying online. Recommendations on a good online source that is reputable and is helpful if something is wrong with the product?
I expect it either today (friday) or on monday, depends on how nice UPS wants to be (the roads are rather dangerous right now with all the ice.

There are three main modes for focusing, automatic, manual, and automatic than manual.

The first one is easy to figure out, it is automatic. And you go do the lock focus thing with half pressing if you want to. Manual is full manual, you camera does nothing at all automaticly with the focus, so it will stay at whatever you put it at without even touching the shutter button. The auto than manual is a mode where the camera auto focus normal for a small amount of time and then switches over full manual, giving you a starting point for the manual focus

You should try reading Steve's review (as well as Dcresource's, they are the only two sites with professional reviews) and check out the Panasonic forum.
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 12:21 AM   #9

Update:

The Hubby brought home a Sony DSC-F717. I was getting clear focused shots right away. Looks very nice so far. It's got a 5x optical zoom so I'd like to improve that with one of the lenses available from various sources, but would like recommendations on which one will give me the best and the most zoom.