Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2004, 6:24 PM   #1

Default Which camera is better?

Someone please help. I live in Montreal, Quebec and will be going to California on Sat. Feb 7th. I want to buy a compact digital camera, and I am torn between the Kyocera Finecam L4V and the Casio Exilim EX-Z4U. What do I choose?

Thanks
avena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:46 PM   #2

I have no idea which camera is better, as I know nothing about either camera.

But it is also impossible to answer your question because other than that you are going to California, and that you live in Quebec, we know nothing about you.

If you are asking "which is the better camera to buy in California" I would say that either will probably be purchasable there.

If it's which would work better in Quebec, I bet both will have trouble with the winter weather (cold is bad on batteries) but I bet both would work reasonably well in the summer.

Ok I admit that this answer was a bit unkind... but realize that we get this question many times a week, if not a day, and you have given us *absolutely* no information to go on. We have to know how you will use the camera... what type of photography you will do. This question is completely and utterly impossible to answer without that information. It would be more useful for me to just flip a coin and pick than answer your question as you stated it.

Please, to all the people who read this. If you actually want an intelligent and helpful answer you *MUST* MUST
MUST
tell is what type of photography you will do.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 12:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
... If you actually want an intelligent and helpful answer you *MUST* MUST
MUST
tell is what type of photography you will do.
Even then there is not likely to be very many answers unless the two cameras are well reviewed. Other than the reviewers, very few people are likely to have experience with both of those cameras.

If you cannot decide, I'd suggest that you simply pick on the basis of price. Include the cost of extra memory and batteries in the price comparison even if you are not going to purchase them at the same time.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 9:07 AM   #4

I thank you for your comments. I am not a professional photographer. I only want to take good pictures of my granddaughter, with a flash, and pictures of our upcoming cruise.

It seems that the Casio Exilim EX-Z4U has been well reviewed by Steve, however, it also seems that the people that have this camera do not agree with Steve.

I can't find a review of the Kyocera Finecam L4V or the Kyocera Contax SL300RT.
avena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 9:44 AM   #5

Will the granddaughter be running around and playing? Maybe playing a sport (town soccer games?) That is one of the more demanding type of photography for the average person. An eratic moving subject.

Unfortunately, the auto focus system on most of the cheaper digital cameras is not very good. It gets the job done, but it isn't very fast... which means that by the time the camera has focused the child will be somewhere else doing something else.

If you can get to a camera store (not a best buy or an electronics store) they might let you actually take some pictures with the camera. This is good because it lets you see how it really works. Test the AF, maybe even the flash (since you know you'll want to use it.) See if you think it will be fast enough.

For the cruise, you'll probably want something with a wider angle as well (sweeping views from the boat.) The Casio has a 35-104mm equivalent zoom. 35mm isn't the widest angle lens, but it isn't bad. The Finecam has basically the same zoom range (just a little less wide, but a little longer zoom.)

Depending on how good your eyes are, the Casio has a larger LCD on the back. That is never a bad thing (well, it might decrease battery life a bit, but I'd take that in trade.)

I couldn't find any reviews of that FineCam, only some specifications on it. Maybe it's too new?

Sory I can't help you more. I checked several review sites that I know and didn't find them reviewed either.

Another good reason to go to a store to see the camera is just to see how well they fit in your hands. Is the button placement good. That kinda stuff. If it isn't comfortable to use, you won't use it.
Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 3:16 PM   #6

I'd recommend the Contax version of the Kyocera Finecam. It's the SL300RT. It's a wonderful little camera that ran $499 for a long time, and has recently come down to $429 all over the internet (e.g., Adorama.com). It's extremely fun to shoot with, very fast, and the superior lens (Zeiss) makes the Contax a better choice than the Kyocera Finecam. Note: there is no lens cap, it takes a bit long to charge the battery (buy an extra), and there's no video out. But don't let that deter you: It seems every digital camera has at least one feature - or missing feature - that will frustrate its owner.
It also takes filters, something most digitals don't allow. Get it: it's a fairly posh camera that's now fairly priced.
macroom is offline   Reply With Quote