Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:07 PM   #1

Default FujiFilm x100 approaching end of life?

So after several months of having all kinds of various camera setups, I discovered the problem. They're all too BIG. This led me to believe I need something small, compact, but still good quality. This led me to look at Rangefinder cameras. Leica, of course is the best. However, my budget is below $2k. This led me to the x100. I've fallen in love with it. However, I'm worried about a few things. Mostly, the lackluster AF, only 720P video, and bad battery life. Does anyone have some insights about this camera or if a successor might be coming? I've heard rumors that maybe it will appear at Photokina? I've looked at the Fujifilm X series cameras, and I'm not a fan of the design of them, however I really love the x100. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:49 PM   #2

G'day Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
..... This led me to the x100. I've fallen in love with it. However, I'm worried about a few things. Mostly, the lackluster AF, only 720P video, and bad battery life. Does anyone have some insights about this camera .... Thanks!
The poor AF performance in the X-series cameras is well documented, by me and others, here & elsewhere. Video I can't comment about > it doesn't interest me; battery life seems much the same as other cameras

-if- you can live with the lack-lustre AF operations, what remains is an excellent camera

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 3:19 AM   #3

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/new...ital+Camera%29
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Adam

The poor AF performance in the X-series cameras is well documented, by me and others, here & elsewhere. Video I can't comment about > it doesn't interest me; battery life seems much the same as other cameras

-if- you can live with the lack-lustre AF operations, what remains is an excellent camera

Regards, Phil
Ok. Thanks for your insight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Yea...but two things:

1) I don't want interchangeable lenses, I love the fixed lens on the x100

2) It's fugly looking.

I'm still hoping that Photokina 2012 will bring an x200, otherwise I'll just pick up an x100.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:07 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I am possibly the world's biggest X100 fan. I got one of the first cameras shipped outside Japan back in March 2011 before the earthquake.

I have never had any problems with the AF system on the X100, but it has certainly improved in some ways over the course of multiple firmware releases, mostly in its ability to focus quickly at closer distances. For most purposes it's a lot faster than it was before and easier to pick up and use without error.

User response to the AF system definitely doesn't follow a normal distribution, there are many people who hate it and others who like it, very few who love it. Most people do need to learn how to best make use of it - especially with the OVF where parallax complicates things a lot.

It's very accurate, far more accurate than any DSLR because it uses CDAF, so you never have any front or back focus issues.

In good light and at distances > 3m it's very fast too.

Most of the trouble comes at close distances. People who like to shoot "wide open" and " up close" to get really extreme background blur are those who struggle the most. (Now that's not me, so I've never had any issues.)

Since getting the X100 I have hardly used my 5DMkII at all. I haven't got rid of it, because obviously it has huge flexibility for those situations where the X100 isn't the right thing, but the X100 lives in my backpack and goes everywhere with me.

Wait for photokina to see what announcements there are, X100s are now much cheaper than they were at release and are a tremendously good deal IMO.