Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
why would this be in your pocket and a Leica not be in your pocket?
Because the Leica M9 is too big.

The Sony RX1 is 4 1/2" x 2 5/8" x 2 3/4" with the lens (naturally.)

The Leica M9 is 5 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3 1/6" without the lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:27 PM   #22

FYI; There is no such thing as a Zeiss lens, any longer. The company is long gone only! the name remains, how is that for BLING.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:27 PM   #23

I recall saying the Sony R-1 was too expensive for a P&S camera, but would have been nice with interchangeable lenses. Whatever did happen to the R-1?
Sometimes, I think Sony tries out these kind of things just to create large losses to write off their taxes.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:37 PM   #24

Anything Sony sells it too high as they do not manufacture, they are like Sears they farm it out.

Like Sears they specify what they want, and go with the company that will build it for them. Then they sell it under their brand name. Also like Sears over the years, Sony may have absorbed some smaller unfortunate companies. And now claim to manufacture their products.

Sony like McDonald's, is one I can do without.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 2:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40 View Post
FYI; There is no such thing as a Zeiss lens, any longer. The company is long gone only! the name remains, how is that for BLING.
Carl Zeiss is alive and well (the company, not the man.) Sony has an arrangement with Zeiss to manufacture lenses designed by Zeiss, and that must pass through Zeiss QC by Zeiss employees in Sony's factories.

Zeiss also makes many of it's own lenses, and also sells lenses to other companies than use them in their own products. Hartblei is one that immediately comes to mind.

Last edited by TCav; Sep 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 2:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40 View Post
Like Sears they specify what they want, and go with the company that will build it for them. Then they sell it under their brand name. Also like Sears over the years, Sony may have absorbed some smaller unfortunate companies. And now claim to manufacture their products.
Sony has manufacturing plants all over Japan, and around the pacific rim. Many of Sony's production facilities fell victim to the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami as well as the recent flood in and around Bangkok, Thailand.

From NYTimes.com:
Quote:
Tohoku, the region in Japan hit hardest by the natural disasters, has long been an important manufacturing base for Sony, which is Japan’s largest consumer electronics exporter. Two of the company’s sites in that area, a Blu-ray disc factory and a research and development lab, were badly damaged by flooding; about 1,100 employees were trapped on upper floors.
From thaivisa.com:
Quote:
TOKYO, October 20, 2011 (AFP) - Sony said Thursday it would postpone the launch of its latest digital single-lens reflex cameras and headphones as a result of massive flooding in Thailand.

The flooding has halted production at the company's manufacturing base in Ayutthaya and its contracted plants and parts suppliers in the country, the Japanese electronics giant said in a statement.

Sony had planned to put on the market two types of digital single-lens reflex cameras on November 11 but the new launch date has yet to be decided, the statement said.

The company had also planned to launch different types of headphones on November 10 and 21. Some of the models will be marketed instead on December 10 but the new launch date for the others will be decided later.

Sony has three manufacturing plants in Thailand and operations at the Ayutthaya plant, which produces digital cameras, has been halted since October 11 as flooding disrupted the supply of parts and prevented workers from coming to work, Sony spokeswoman Satsuki Shinnaka said.

"On October 14, floodwater began to inundate the plant's building and part of its equipment there has since been affected," she said.
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/...thai_water.jpg

Last edited by TCav; Sep 16, 2012 at 2:39 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 3:58 PM   #27

Problem with hanging bling like a Leica or an rx1 (if a mass market item can be called bling) on yourself, and going out in public to be seen with it is it quickly sets you up for a mugging.

When I head into cities with cameras I try to be inconspicuous as possible, to the point of covering telltale markings like name plates, and that red ring with gaffers or electrical tape. And I use old bags that do not appear to contain anything expensive, kind of puts the kibosh on the bling factor.

Guess if bling is your thing you are out to be the image not out to make actual images.

Still will be interesting to see how it fares once out on the markets.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 5:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
Still will be interesting to see how it fares once out on the markets.
Are we now talking about the RX1, not about "Overpriced" as an abstract concept?

I honestly thought that the most controversial comment I posted was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
In the relm of electronics, Bang & Olufsen isn't overpriced, but Bose is.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:57 AM   #29

lol TCav, thanks for clearing up the Zeiss and Sony points.

I think the RX1 serves as an example of something that is "overpriced" and gives substance to the abstract discussion on what is "overpriced"

I think if you say the lens is worth $1000+ using the Zeiss Sonnar 24mm f1.8 T* as a reference point. And if you say a budget FF camera will set you back $2000 for body only then the RX1 price makes sense. Because I can see the value in the parts I would not say it is overpriced.

Again I think people feel that it doesn't matter what parts went into it, it is still just a P&S and therefore overpriced. Where in this sense they are talking about what they are willing to pay for a P&S
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:23 AM   #30
Super Moderator

I think you're on to something there.

Perhaps the notion of overpriced has something to do with the markup.

If an item has a gross profit of 50% perhaps that is "overpriced", and something that makes only a gross profit of 10% is, if not good value, then at least the manufacturer is not taking advantage of its potential customers.