Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:37 AM   #31

To be reasonably objective about it, the market determines whether an item is over- or under- priced. If a camera is released at a given price point and doesn't sell well, retailers will begin discounting it, manufacturer will introduce rebates, etc. until consumer demand is sufficient to provide enough sales to keep the factory going. This situation is fairly normal, and indicates the item was 'over priced' initially.
OTOH, the demand for some items outstrips the supply, and the price on the secondary market goes much higher than the 'official' price. This is a case of the item being 'under priced'. (some video games and phones come to mind)
I may disagree with the market, but objectively, that means I am wrong. (it has happened)
It would be difficult to track the costs of making a product, but generally, I would say that 50% markup at each step in the sales chain is fairly normal. (mfr, distr,whlslr,rtlr) Add in shipping costs at each step (with markup, of course), and you get a ballpark idea of what the item actually cost to make.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:05 PM   #32

I know for sure that this new Hasselblad at €5,000 (~$6588 USD) is surely overpriced since it is just a NEX 7 underneath

I think we can all agree that stuffing a $1200 camera inside a luxurious body and throwing a recognized name on it and then asking for 5x times the price defines overpriced

Likewise the new €699 (~$910 USD) Leica Superzoom, a re-badged $549 Panasonic Lumix FZ200

Leica also announced a couple of other Lumix P&S cameras in Leica skins for double the price as well, D-Lux 6 at the same €699 (~$910 USD) and the V-Lux 40 (Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20) at the bargain basement €590 (~$770 USD)

Seems like;

1. The Leica brand is getting pretty diluted, I mean why pay $6500 for a Leica M9 when some other jack ass is going to be paying well under a grand and wearing the same bling around his neck and only some people will know the difference.

2. The Sony RX-1 seems a bit more reasonable
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:32 PM   #33

All by itself, a high price doesn't make something overpriced.

Something that is so expensive that only one person in the world can afford to buy it, isn't overpriced if it's worth more to that person than the money it costs to have it. If it cost more than you're willing to pay for it, that doesn't mean it's overpriced.

If it costs more than something else that serves the same purpose as well or better, that means it's overpriced.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

Something that is so expensive that only one person in the world can afford to buy it, isn't overpriced if it's worth more to that person than the money it costs to have it. If it cost more than you're willing to pay for it, that doesn't mean it's overpriced.

If it costs more than something else that serves the same purpose as well or better, that means it's overpriced.
so again I say the Hasselblad rebadged NEX 7 is overpriced because the sum of it's parts; a sony nex 7 $1200 + a custom body are not equal to $6500

ut the RX1 is not since the sum of it's parts; Zeiss Lens ($1000+) Full frame Sensor ($2,000+) are less than it's price of $2800
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

This would seem to contradict your earlier statement regarding Bang&Olufsen, etc. Unless, that is, the purpose is to be seen having the B&O, or the Leica, or the Ferrari.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
This would seem to contradict your earlier statement regarding Bang&Olufsen, etc. Unless, that is, the purpose is to be seen having the B&O, or the Leica, or the Ferrari.
Certainly, some of the value of those brands comes from the bling, but a higher percentage of the value of Bang & Olufsen and Ferrari comes from their ability to serve the same purpose better than lesser products. And if your taste runs toward B&W, the same can be said for the Leica M Monochrom.

Last edited by TCav; Sep 19, 2012 at 5:39 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote