Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Lesmore.... sounds like you need a Sony RX100..... maybe..?

Simon as a result of your post I checked out a review of the Sony RX100.

In the review, they had a sensor comparison chart and the sensor is significantly smaller than the ones in my DSLR bodies, including my smaller DSLR Pentax K-m.

I did originally, a few years ago, want a pocket sized camera...but after my G 12 experience, I find I prefer a ASP-C sized sensor...even if it means I need to carry around a small bag to accomodate the camera.
I came to the determination that the photo quality an ASP-C , DSLR sensor provides is more important to me..at this point in life...than a small pocket camera.

But I do feel Sony is on the right track and also Ricoh. I recently saw and handled a new small Ricoh model that had interchangeable lenses...and sensor sizes...think you could select a lens and a sensor size...sort of a cassette. I may have this wrong...I need to check it out further.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:55 PM   #32

Ozzie - good point about the superzooms - I am always impressed with the FZ150 for wildlife - I can't help but feel that the new FZ200 with it's constant f2.8 is probably much better for wildlife in the hands of the average user then a DSLR plus equivalent lens
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:43 PM   #33

After reading the article, I pretty much agree with what he wrote except his blanket statement that no one should buy a dslr. Because it's all about choice.

His readers would have been better served if he approached the subject from the point of view that we are fortunate to live in a time where there are a so many excellent choices in photographic equipment. Then explaining the pros and cons of each different type of camera system available today.

I've always believed that you should use the right tool for the right job. But the right tool for you may not be the right told for me or someone else. Thank goodness we have so many tools today to choose from.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:04 PM   #34

If I could assemble my own camera, it would have the low light performance of a Canon 5DIII, the focus capability of the 7D, full-frame sensor (1gp), a single lens covering the range of 8mm to 1000mm (tack sharp at f1 through the entire range of course), and it would fit in my pocket. For $200.

Until they start making that camera, everything else is a compromise of performance, size and price.

I opted for capability over portability and price. Others may feel the need for more portability. That's why this topic is so fun - whatever we decide is right for ourselves must be right for everyone and the battle begins.

I look at the new mirrorless designs as a temporary step in the rapid evolution of camera technology, and I can't commit to it just yet.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:56 PM   #35

That article seems to be aimed at folks who are thinking of moving up from their phone camera.

A SLR would be to be to big a jump for pretty much all of them. The simplest point-n-shoots would be to small a jump.

I think he hit it just right for the intended audience.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:11 AM   #36

Must be so...

I could see the press photographers and paparazzi chasing you around with their oversized pocket cameras... Sorry, just couldn't resist that one
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 6:13 AM   #37

You are open to give your opinion but is think dslr is one of the recommended products by expert.
techjohnney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:43 AM   #38
Super Moderator

I think the article is a bit simplistic.

I also think that quality-for-money-spent the entry-level DSLRs are at the top of the heap.

However it's not true to say that DSLR lenses are better quality. For a start you have to include the Leica M series into the MILC category. Just at the top. And the lenses are better than pretty much anything available for the non-MF DSLR market. Which is of course a good thing considering their prices.

The truth is that there are lots of different cameras and lenses. Plenty of good and bad for most formats. Except conspicuously the Sony E-mount, but never fear: Zeiss are rushing in to fill that gap.

The new Fuji lenses for their X cameras are superb. Not cheap, but cheap by comparison to similar performing lenses on DSLRs.

Cameras with flip-flapping mirrors are a very mature technology and gain all the benefits of that maturity. MILC digital cameras are not as mature, and have their problems. But for some people they are just the thing.

I have no problem with his basic view that cameras should be really easy to use from a technical point of view. I'm not just a camera operator (as highly skilled as that task can be) I want to be someone who makes great images. Some of the world's best photographers are not technically very skilled. If I had to choose I'd rather have the vision than be a great camera operator who didn't know what to take pictures of.

At any rate, about 3 years ago I passed the point where my camera was holding back anything I wanted to do in photography. Now I have no excuses.

This is why I recommend people buy the best equipment they can comfortably afford; after that there are no excuses for not making good images.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:53 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
This is why I recommend people buy the best equipment they can comfortably afford; after that there are no excuses for not making good images.
Yeah. That.

If you spent $5,000 on a camera system, and you can't take a decent photo, it's your own @#$% fault.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:55 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Anyone lusting after the Phase One IQ180 Digital Back with 645DF Body and 80mm Lens. Just under $50k at Calumet.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote