Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:15 PM   #1
Dig

Default Don't buy a dslr

There have been several threads recently regarding fx vs dx, full frame vs aps-c, etc, etc.

I came across this article that I thought might be interesting in the discussions.

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/articl.../dont-buy-dslr
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:43 AM   #2

I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion(s). However, fact and opinion can be two different areas of belief. Just because something is not B/S, doesn't mean it's the truth...

Just another article amongst many on the internet sharing a view...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:14 AM   #3

It's unfortunate that this is coming from Popular Science.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:35 AM   #4

Sorry folks, but I think the article is spot-on. Here's a quote that sums it up very well:
Quote:
<snip> DSLRS soon will be....For pros, or passionate amateurs. Sports photographers, bird-watchers, people who want to build a multi-thousand-dollar collection of lenses. But for those of us who just want to take better pictures, dammit, there are amazing options just for us.
The truth is the vast majority of the population are NOT passionate amateurs, pros, sports or bird watchers. They are people that want better pictures but don't want the size/bulk. I know 3 friends/family members that own DSLRs that use them once or twice a year or not at all because they never have the cameras with them. It's too inconvenient. I'm still a passionate DSLR user but I agree with the author - they're a bad choice for the majority of people who want a little better results than point-and-shoot. You can't take a photo if you don't have a camera and DSLRs are a pain-in-the-butt. And, quite frankly, the results I see people post from mirrorless, m4/3 and high-end digicams are extremely good now - good enough for the vast majority of people out there. Sure, you can get better results when you start buying f2.0 and 1.4 and telephoto 2.8 lenses - but then you've got the bulk again and don't have what you need (when you're an average consumer). So, as a DSLR user I agree with the author.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:34 AM   #5

The author is apparently intimidated by all the switches and buttons on a DSLR, as well as the size and weight. For his uses, he is probably correct, since he is unwilling to learn how to use one, and simply wants to point and shoot. This puts him in the category of 'picture taker' rather than 'photographer', which is just fine, but to make a blanket recommendation to not buy a DSLR is as wrong as those who make blanket recommendations to buy one regardless of the needs and abilities of the prospective buyer.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:45 AM   #6

Mirrorless bodies are just as expensive as entry-level dSLR bodies, and the lenses are more expensive, don't perform as well, and are frequently bigger and heavier (negating any size and weight advantage a mirrorless body might have.)

Perhaps someone could explain to me why they think this is a good idea (aside from the fact that it pulled Olympus' hiney out of the fire.)
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:49 AM   #7

Before the recent DSLR boom there were film based SLR users and point and shoot film users.
The bulk of the people were using film based point & shoots because most people did not what the bulk, cost and complexity of hauling the big guns around. Millions if not billions of shots are/were filling up shoe boxes and albums around the world.

In many cases both camera types were using identical sensors (35mm film) just the lenses/housings were different.

Digital brought along some issues where the point & shoots with slower processors and tiny sensors were not able to keep up. So the public began buying what they saw the pros and higher end users using (and advertising campaigns were telling them) to get decent results with.

That is definitely changing, we spent a day at the zoo yesterday and while DSLR's were evident everywhere, so were the large numbers of people holding up their smartphones to frame images.
The modern smartphones are very capable of capturing and producing images that fit with many peoples current needs.
Who rarely print anything as big as 8*10, usually smaller if at all.
Images now seem to be exchanged by email or on social media sites.
You do not need a DSLR for that or even these new mirrorless toys that are trying to become a new fad.

I think the article is correct but does not go far enough, most people do not want a big dslr, these new mirrorless cameras or oven point&shoots. If they can get great results from a superphone they probably already are carrying. And carrying everywhere with them.

Technology is advancing rapidly and I suspect the middle ground cameras are the ones that are going to be the next to go extinct. In the end there will be the pros and dedicated aficionados using the bulky high end equipment, and the rest of the people using the whiz bang superphones
whose capabilities are growing by leaps and bounds almost daily.

This is a digital camera forum so the visitors here have interest in many of the different camera types being produced, but that does not represent the rest of the worlds people desires for imaging products!

Last edited by PeterP; Sep 24, 2012 at 8:54 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Mirrorless bodies are just as expensive as entry-level dSLR bodies, and the lenses are more expensive, don't perform as well, and are frequently bigger and heavier
I really disagree with the last three points in this sentence. Many lenses in the mft mount perform very well and are certainly not bigger and heavier than a DSLR counterpart.

I get it a DSLR is the only way you want to fly. Optical view finders and all are the only true view of the world through the lens that you aim to capture. Totally get that.

But to get upset that an article recommends the everyday person look at mirror-less is kinda missing the point. The article is not talking about you. You're the DSLR buyer and you will always have a place.

But the rest of the amateur hobbyist world is likely better suited by a mirror-less camera like the Sony Nex or a MFT.

People want low light performance and great detail that blows everyone else's smartphone clips out of the water. People want Wifi in the camera. People want automatic in camera processing of HDR and Panoramic shots. People want all this and don't want to carry around a backpack or become a distraction when they take pictures at their kids events. People want a great camera they can easily carry.

I can tuck my Olympus E-PL2 with a pancake lens into a jacket pocket or my laptop bag and have it with me pretty much everywhere I go enabling shots I would not get if it was a DSLR that couldn't be easily carried about.

So that's not what you want, but why hate on it so strong and why insist that the average person for whom the article was written should buy a DSLR over a mirror-less?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
I really disagree with the last three points in this sentence. Many lenses in the mft mount perform very well and are certainly not bigger and heavier than a DSLR counterpart.
Even the ones that aren't are still twice the price! How are people better off paying more for the same thing?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Even the ones that aren't are still twice the price! How are people better off paying more for the same thing?
But the thing is most people who the article was aimed at will not buy more than one additional lens beyond the kit lens.

The lenses for DSLR are also cheaper because there is more competition. Over time as the mirror-less segment increases market share we will see more lower cost lenses like the Sigma 19mm and 30mm f2.8 lenses now at $199 a pop.

In the end you get what you pay for and alot of the low cost lenses for DSLR are low cost for a reason.