Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:07 AM   #1

Default Are forums on Steve's Digicam a little "clanish"?

By Clanish, i mean are there little clans of folks who regularly frequent the boards and comment on eachothers photos, but if your not in this clan/group your lucky to get any comments.

I dont visit the forum daily but i am here every week or two I try to comment on anything that catches my eye.

But often i post images (mainly in the "People Photos" forum actually), only to get no comments at all.

Im not trying to be narcissistic here, i dont think any of my images are amazing, and i dont want tons of comments saying how awesome my images are, but conversely I dont think they are terrible either and some feedback is the reason i do post.

Its something thats putting me off these forums and wondered if you have any feelings on this?

Note - some forums such as the pets forum are awesome for giving comments both complementary and constructive critique.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:27 AM   #2

I think to, a degree, what you say is true. I'm much more comfortable commenting on a photograph that has been posted by someone whose work I'm familiar with. I'm also more familiar with how they will respond to a comment, critique or suggestion.,

When someone new to the forum posts a photograph, I'm a bit reluctant to offer critiques as often times, they may not be looking for how to improve an image as much as a pat on the back. If the image is good, I usually post a comment and say as much. If it doesn't catch my interest, I move on.

I know this much, posting an image and then asking a specific question about how it may be improved, etc. usually gets more responses than a simple statement like "comments welcomed".

I'm speaking for myself as others may see it differently.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:26 PM   #3

I'm not sure there is a "clan" issue... maybe there is and I haven't noticed...lol...
If an image is in the "critique" section then it's open season and I'll comment on both good and bad- whilst trying to remain positive and polite of course.
In other sections if something really catches my eye,then a positive comment beckons- if it doesn't move me in any way,then I'll say nothing- as I'm a firm believer in "If you've got nothing good to say... don't bother".
If you want "critique", put it in the appropriate section and ask for it.
It also might be an idea to post an image under the Camera section relative to what you took the image with... much like the Panasonic area... images and comments galore..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:25 PM   #4

The same people tend to gravitate to the same forums in the Post Your Photos section, and some of the brand forums tend to have more photos posted in them than others, but I don't think any of the forums could be called a Mutual Admiration Society. If you are looking for comments, you should post your photos (1 per topic) in the Photo Critiques forum. Otherwise, if you post something and no one has anything to say, chances are they won't say it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:41 PM   #5

G'day all

Great Q schmintan

For me it's a daily look at "subcribed threads" then "new posts"
I do not go chasing hardware/camera threads nor individual member's contributions ~ I just like "photography" and am looking into those threads whose title & 1st line of text seems to be of interest

There are some grenres that do not appeal to me. others that do appeal > I suppose that's life

When photo authors start rabbiting on about their hi-powered/ hi-$$ equipment, I switch off ... I prefer to consider the result, how it is to my eye, etc etc

I have certainly posted stuff that I have received no comments > the ego part of me says 'bugga - no one liked/commented about it' - the other part of me says 'who cares? - there's plenty more to look at'

For me, there are no contributors whose work I shy away from because of a dislike to them or their work - equally there are some here whose work I would love to emulate but for various reasons I never will > but I do enjoy the perusal of their offerings

Hope this make some sort of sense ...
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:29 PM   #6

There are people who have become friends on these forums, and regularly comment on each others' pictures, but I don't think they intentionally exclude anyone - they are just more comfortable with those they know better.
I agree with Zig, that if you have a specific question about a photo, it is more likely to be commented on than if you just say "What do you think of this?". It is harder to come up with a comment on something that is pretty good, than something that is pretty bad. (I tell myself)
Many people who post here are looking for approval rather than criticism, and I have let myself get in the middle of some of the arguments resulting. I now find it simpler to say nothing at all.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 8:49 PM   #7

Hi Schmintan;

First, I am sorry that your experience here has not been as positive as mine has been.

The folks here have been incredibly kind to me, even when they tell me my photos aren't very good.

Here's a strategy that has been helpful in soliciting responses from photographers. Every now and then I've posted a photo and tried to express what I liked about the photo and asked specific questions about what I could do differently that would make the shot better.

For example ask a question about the DOF or lighting or something to do with post processing or using a different lens or the pose of the subject. Asking for specific comments gives people permission to comment, both positively and negatively about your work.

Last, be tough. When people comment negatively, it hurts. Especially when you like what you posted or you have strong feelings toward the subject of the photo. Be sure to set the emotional hit aside and focus on the criticism that can make you a better photographer.

Faithfully yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:22 AM   #8

Hi Schmintan.
Let me offer a couple of points about the nature of this site as I see it. First, unless you specifically say that C&C are welcome, the site discourages anything other than praise in response to any posts that aren't in the Photo Critiques section. So, posting in any other section without that invite is not likely to garner much non-trivial comment. Second, if you are interested in serious critique, you are better off posting a single image when you ask for C&C. Most of us are not going to do a detailed review of a portfolio, so posting a set is also a barrier to getting serious responses. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:43 AM   #9

If you haven't picked up on it yet, you should note that, once these people start talking about something, you'll have a heck of a time getting them to shut up!

Last edited by TCav; Oct 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If you haven't picked up on it yet, you should note that, once these people start talking about something, you'll have a heck of a time getting them to shut up!
It just reinforces the point that; if you ask a specific question (whatever the subject or issue) there are a lot of folks on this site who are ready to jump in and offer an opinion or suggestion.

That's what it's all about.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote