Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:43 PM   #1

Default Any suggestions on video stablilzers

I wasn't sure which category to pose this question, so I decided to put it here. I am going to be purchasing a Canon 60D mainly for photo shooting, but also for some video shooting. The problem that I have always encountered when shooting video is the shaky and jerky motions when hand-holding the devices. I have looked at several types of stabilizers, from the expensive glidecams, steadicams, to the merlins, to even the DIY stabilizers. I don't want to break the bank, but want something that is useful, reliable, and doesn't need hours of set-up time. And one that won't fatigue me so quickly. Is there anyone out there currently shooting video with a DSLR, that is willing to point me in the right direction?
bimfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:59 PM   #2

I think that I have either posted this in the wrong discussion section, or else on the wrong forum. Sorry.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:49 AM   #3

I don't think there are many video shooters here. AFAIK, the best stabilizer is a good tripod, but you seem to want something that works for walkaround use. Try checking with the news department of your local TV station, but I don't expect there will be anything for one on a budget. Rough guess would be it would cost substantially more than your camera.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the response and the info Brian.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:24 PM   #5

I got the Flycam Nano ($175). Takes a lot of practice. Several videos on how to set up. But I am still like a drunken sailor trying to use it. The mounting plate is flimsy plastic and replaced with a Manfrotto RC2 so consistent with my other gear and can leave the baseplate on the camera. What am finding, the RC2 is great for still, but inflexable with video. Slider type mounts are better for video as can adjust for weight balance depending on camera/lens combo.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote