Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 17, 2012, 3:52 PM   #1

Default Just bought new Panasonic curious if it's something someone sent back

Just curious if anyone else that's purchased a ZS15 or similar Panasonic noticed there was no seal on the box, and the camera body has no product sticker, nor any protection sticker on the LCD screen. I'm used to when purchasing cameras the box being sealed some how and some kind of product sticker on the body.

Also the battery has about half a charge to it. Wondering if i should just setup a return even though it works, I prefer new products when paying for new
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2012, 4:36 PM   #2

If a customer returns an opened product, it's illegal for it to be sold again as new. That's why some retailers charge a restocking fee. Some retailers get around that by shrink-wrapping it again.

Where did you buy it?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I bought the camera from Amazon, themselves not one of individual shops/sellers.

I contacted Panasonic the lady that answered said there should be a protective sticker for the LCD, and usually is a product sticker on the front camera body and I should contact Amazon for a return.

I've contacted Amazon and there going ship out another camera, and a label to return this one.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:12 PM   #4

Good to hear. Good luck with it.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:16 PM   #5

Thanks, I'll post a reply here when the second camera gets here.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:32 PM   #6

Replacement just got here, and it too is the same exact way..so if you receive a Panasonic with no stickers on the body and box that's not sealed with factory tape I guess it's new.

Just baffling as youtube videos and even here on Steve's site there is a sticker on the body. I don't care and don't need the sticker, but Panasonic isn't going out of there way to reassure customers there getting a new product and not something used/refurb'd.

The replacement camera, the lens seems a bit smoother for some odd reason, so it wasn't all for naught.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:35 PM   #7

Curious....!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 6:08 PM   #8

I can understand the open box, as sometimes, resellers will open the box to obtain rebates enclosed, to redeem them, and then offer the item for sale. I would be extremely suspicious of something with the factory packing removed. If you purchased it as a new product, it should arrive the same way it left the factory.
I really think you should return this and insist on a sealed box.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 6:57 PM   #9

It's a factory box, but there is no way to tell if it's been open or not. The sticker on the bottom with the S/N country of origin etc.. is there. Just not those sales like stickers you see in the photo in Steve's review. I've looked around the net and others seem to have that sticker. Maybe there are different models for retail and internet channels.
Also the cd-rom, instructions were all in there as well as the wall wart and USB cable. So it's all there

I contacted Panasonic via Facebook today, instead of calling there customer service line. The rep from there facebook acct replied
Quote:
I just opened a brand new DMC-ZS20 to look at it. The box was not sealed and there were no stickers on the camera itself. A semi-charged battery is installed so the camera can test the cameras capabilities immediately. You can be confident that you obtained a new model.
So at this point I guess I just need to stop being OCD...If there was a store that sold the camera in my area I would of just bought it retail!

See the top photo on Steve's review
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...views-196.html

Last edited by comfortablynumb; Oct 19, 2012 at 7:07 PM. Reason: added link to review