Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 8, 2004, 1:02 PM   #1

Default two advices !! slr and g3 or g5 !!

Hi
can someone explain me whats the difference between a regular digicam to a slr camera ??
which one is recommended the canon g3 or the new g5
thanks in advance
sam
samwow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2004, 3:13 PM   #2

Default Re: two advices !! slr and g3 or g5 !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwow14
Hi
can someone explain me whats the difference between a regular digicam to a slr camera ??
which one is recommended the canon g3 or the new g5
thanks in advance
sam
A "regular" digicam has a one lens which, in most cameras, has a zoom lens. This type of digicam also includes SLR-type cameras like the one I have---FinePix S602Z.

An SLR digicam (which stands for single lens reflex) can change lenses (purchased separately).
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 4:03 PM   #3

It is called a single lens reflex camera because you see your subject indirectly through the lens. Unlike the view camera, where you look directly through the lens to frame your shot, the SLR has a mirror and a pentaprism.

The ability to change lenses is not what determines if a camera is an SLR or not. There have been SLR's with fixed lenses and there are non-SLR cameras that can change lenses.

I realize that may not answer your question, but it defines the difference between the two types of digital cameras.

A digital SLR camera cannot view the image in the LCD screen like other digital cameras can because of this reflex system. Instead, the LCD screen is only used for review of images taken whereas on compact digital cameras you can view the scene on the LCD prior to and after taking a picture.

In general, a digital SLR (Canon DRebel, Nikon D100, Canon 10D, etc) is part of a system where you add optional flashes, lenses, and attachments. A compact digital is pretty much all included in the initial purchase (less extra batteries, memory, etc)

There are other differences, but I hope this helped some. I'll leave the recommendations of compact cameras to those that have used or researched the ones that you've listed
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 6:51 PM   #4

Default Oops!

Thanks for the enlightenment ohenry. ops:
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 2:58 PM   #5

thanks for the quick respond
ill stay with a regular digicam
sam
samwow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 8:46 PM   #6

One nice thing about either the G3 or G5 is that they allow the use of some of the accessories that can improve your shots greatly. If you were to get a flash (the best single accessory IMHO) it would work on a Canon SLR. I have a G2 and it's flash, batteries and memory work quite nicely on my Digital Rebel.

The biggest difference (other than the lenses, mirrors and LCD preview) between SLRs and the point and shoots like you mention is shutter lag. dSLR's have a much faster time between when you press the shutter release and when the image is taken. In some cases that's very important, other times it isn't.

Of course, having an LCD screen allows me to take shots that I can't easily do with my SLR. I can hold my camera at waist level for shots of kids, it's a much better perspective and is less intrusive which means they don't stop playing.

Try both out - see which one you like, also make sure that anyone else who'll be using it regularly can use it too.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote