Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:58 PM   #1
jhc

Default Where, pray tell, is Canon hiding its megapixels?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post, but seems good as any: Anyone have a clue why Canon seems to fail to keep up with its nemisis Nikon in the amount of megapixel coverage of his highest realm cameras, and moreover, will they anytime soon? Any news of this will be appreciated. I literally nearly gave away thousands of dollars worth of Nikon, Arca-Swiss and Pentax 120 stuff, with the best view camera optics ever ground and polished that I bought since I received my first university degree in photography. Then I dumped some $30,000 on Canon glass and cameras when the company pinnacled at 21mp. I am sorry now, of course, ever to have done that because I was not farsighted enough to envision affordable view camera digital backs nor a slow-to-start Nikon then hitting 0-37 in .04 seconds. Pays to be more patient. I thought a comparatively small company (Nikon) simply didn't have the corporate muscle to whip up on the huge Canon Corp. I want a small camera that produces images as did an old 8x10 loaded with Velvia, NOT a new toy. Will I ever see joy with Canon megapixels, like 40 full frame, anytime soon, and prayerfully before I push up daises in a verteran's grave?

Last edited by jhc; Oct 31, 2012 at 4:09 PM. Reason: spelling & grammar
jhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:37 AM   #2

Super high megapixels are not that desirable for many.
There are several members in my local association that bought the d800 and have promptly sold it in favor of the d600. (I think I have the model numbers right)

Their main complaint was the massive file sizes slowing down workflow getting their images to clients.
When you are dealing with hundreds or thousands of images a week that becomes a choke point, as does the storage needed to keep 3 to 4 backup copies of the files.

So I must ask what are you wanting to do with all the megapixels?

As for rumors, all the companies are very tight lipped about their future products. Not good to let you competition know what you are planning.

Only *Rumor* I have heard a few times is there may be something along the lines of a 3d coming along and in the 46mp range.
http://www.canonrumors.com/category/...aphy/canon-3d/
Most likely a fake. a hoax, as rumors and reality don't usually mix.

Last edited by PeterP; Nov 2, 2012 at 8:52 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:42 AM   #3

Yes, Canon is somewhat reacting to what went on in previous generations - where Nikon kept D3s and d700 at 12mp and really focused on quality over quantity. They are banking on 20-24mp being the 'sweet spot' of enough pixels to do what most people need to do while still being able to handle quality dynamic range and noise AND buffering/frame rates. There are certainly a few people that legitimately NEED more, but the big lesson is - most of the MARKET doesn't care about 30+ mp - the pros and serious hobbyists realize there are more important things than MP. And, as mentioned above - the workflow slow down is a very real issue that makes dealing with 50mb+ image files very undesirable.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:55 PM   #4
jhc

Thanks for the replies: I hadn't even given through-the-mill topics a thought. It's really an outstanding obversation, PeterP., but at my age and shape I simply don't have "speed" in the equation of my envision of an image to its fruition. Well, in my 69th year puts me on the front bumper towards oblivion. I've been a mental "member" of the f64 Club, an actual member of the PPofA, et. al., with more than one-half century as a pro or sem-pro. Nothing beats the combination with BIG if creativity is the focal point, with the gear ideally fading in your fingers to transparency. That's also difficult for me on these new computerized wonders. I don't want to think about the camera in the process of building my vision.

As an additional why do I want so many MPs? As I pointed out initially, I love the look of prints from very large film, especially 8x10 and 11x14. Problem is, I also love Bentleys, especially their new modest model for the serfs at less than $200,000. When I can put my 11x14 Arca Swiss and a dozen Schneiders, Nikons, and so forth in the back seat as I win the Lottery, I'll stick with my XKR and my Canon 5D MK II (I already sold the $8,000 first 21.1 1ds MK whatever.) I don't believe I can again reasonably withstand the bruise to "swap" back to Nikon. My impatience cost money and ultimately what I wanted. I hope others do not follow my trek to loss.

Last edited by jhc; Nov 4, 2012 at 7:27 PM.
jhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:22 PM   #5

It sounds as if you are a candidate for something like the Pentax 645D. Not a small camera, and not inexpensive, but I would grab one in a heartbeat if the #*&# lottery would just pay off.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 3:59 PM   #6

Speaking of insane megaixels , my rusty remember came up with this bit of older news

Canon's aps-h sized 120-MegaPixel sensor
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...cmos_sensor.do

That should fill up cards and hard drives in a hurry
Old Nov 10, 2012, 6:02 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Another option is to try things like the Gigapanbot - not terribly expensive and will leverage your investment in Canon FF and L lenses.

You can effectively choose your own resolution.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:50 PM   #8

Canon is smart enough to realize that super high megapixel numbers are not practical or desirable. They have reached the sweet spot of 20 to 24 megapixels for full frame DSLR's and 12 to 16 megapixels for crop sensor cameras. They have found that higher megapixel ratings create problems with dynamic range, noise, and problems with low light shooting not to mention massive file sizes.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote