Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 4, 2012, 1:05 PM   #1

Default Canon 50mm 1.8 question

I just bought this lens and am quite happy with the photos it makes with my T3i. I have read a lot of reviews about build quality. I see that the lens barrell is made of plastic as well as the mount. Do I need to be concerned with this breaking apart in my hands if it is treated carefully and not knocked and dropped? I have read where some people have owned the for years and years and others breaking it within a week. I'm generally careful with all my equipment. I would think if I didn't knock it around or drop it, the lens should last just fine.
Heinrich Hausler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2012, 3:34 PM   #2

You are more likely to get answers from those with experience with the lens, in the Canon Lens forum just down the page a bit.
That being said, the kit lens for my Pentax is similarly built, and I have been using it for several years now without any noticeable problems. It is also quite lightweight in comparison, which counts a lot when you are carrying it around all day.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 3:42 PM   #3

I've owned both the Canon 50/1.8 and the Canon 50/1.4 and both are perfect for their intended use. The 1.8 is indeed made much more lightweight and is more susceptible to damage if you are tough on it. Mine worked fine while I owned it but I tend to be very careful with my equipment. I think that so long as you don't drop it or bang it against anything too hard you'll be just fine. The bad rap that people give it is that it's poorly made but in fact I think it is well made for a lens that averages an MSRP of $125.
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:41 PM   #4

I think the little f/1.8 lens is very good value and provided you don't abuse it should give many years service.
I've had one for 4 years with no issues whatsoever...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:48 PM   #5

The 50 1.8 is a brick, it is super tough. I seen it get abuse and the lens just take the abuse. So do not worry about it, just treat like any other lens. No babying needed.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:27 PM   #6

Shoturtle, I'm assuming your post is tongue in cheek?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:04 PM   #7

I am serious. It is a very tough lens. There are youtube videos on it getting smash with things and it still works. And I have had mine for close to 20 years now. It is a very robust lens.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:19 PM   #8

Oh, I guess you have the older one. I have the new 50mm 1.8 mkii
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:31 PM   #9

No, I have the mkII with the plastic mount. It was one of the first plastic mount. It has seen allot of traveling and uses. And have had no problems. Just the hunting in low light with which is normal for the lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 14, 2012 at 7:17 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:15 PM   #10

I have both the Canon 50 f1.8 and 50 f1.4 lenses, have had the f1.8 for five years and it still works great. Have only had the f1.4 for eleven months and I'm sending it in to Canon today for repair. The f1.4 fell from the top of my camera bag to the bottom of the bag and now it won't focus. A 19" drop onto the padded base of the camera bag to me doesn't say much about the extra build quality of the 50 f1.4 over the 50 F1.8.