Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 9, 2004, 4:00 AM   #1

Default Tripod reccomendations??

I'm looking for a collapsable tripod, would prefer one with carry case, not too heavy that it will be a burden, but not too light that it will just fall over. would be nice to have level bubbles, rotating base with handle

give me your reccomendations, and where to buy
Dan GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2004, 7:14 AM   #2

Since you are in New York, go to B&H Photo (www.bhphoto.com) they are the largest reseller of photo & video equipment in the entire US. Yes, and they are only a single store.

Their prices are great, their selection is supposed to be amazing, and visiting their store is supposed to be a trip unto its self.

As for which one, its difficult because you didn't say how much you are willing to spend. I prefer carbon fiber tripods (over alumium) because they are lighter. I can be out carrying my tripod for 2-3 hours on a day (if not more) so the loss of weight is great (it also means I can carry food and water, which is also good.) But they are expensive.

Either way, I recommend Gitzo and Manfrotto/Bogen (same company, one is the international name... forget which.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 8:33 AM   #3

wow
I didn't realize tripods were in the price range north of $1,000
I was more thinking spending less than $100
Old Feb 9, 2004, 9:17 AM   #4

Don't waste your time or money on a cheap tripod, Dan. The whole idea of a tripod is to maintain a steady platform for the camera to capture a sharp image at slower shutter speeds. Any movement as a result of wind, pressing your shutter release, whatever, will result in poor results. Flimsy tripods are only slightly more effective than hand holding. Buy a good tripod (either of the ones mentioned are excellent tripods). While it isn't necessary to spend top dollar, going cheap is a mistake. Regardless of which direction you choose to go, it would pay to visit a store and play with the tripods that interest you, testing them at varios leg positions to determine just how sturdy they are.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 10:31 AM   #5

well I wouldn't even call myself an amature photographer
I just realize that some pictures will REQUIRE a tripod

I have a Minolta F300 5MP

I was looking to spend under $100, but I guess i can go up to $200

any reccomendations in that range?
Old Feb 9, 2004, 10:31 AM   #6

For several years I have been using a Slik U8000 and have been very happy with it. However, as my skills have been improving, and I am doing much more macro and long telephoto work, I find that this tripod is not stable enough. I like all of its features but it is too light.. A few months ago, I need to shoot a picture of a railroad bridge from the top of a bluff adjacent to it. There was about a 40 mph wind and I was shootint with a 80-300mm zoom lens and 2x telextender. I was able to hold the camera steadier in my hands than on the tripod!

The size and weight of your camera help to dictate what type of tripod to buy. Someone has suggested that you can hang a weight such as a 5 lb bag of flour or something similar under the tripod for better stability. This sounds logical but I haven't tried it.

The Slik U8000 is under $100 and is probably ideal for lighter weight cameras. However, for SLRs with heavy lenses, flashes, etc., I would recommend something heavier.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 11:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan GSR
well I wouldn't even call myself an amature photographer
I just realize that some pictures will REQUIRE a tripod

I have a Minolta F300 5MP

I was looking to spend under $100, but I guess i can go up to $200

any reccomendations in that range?

You might want to consider the Bogen 3001 series with the head of your choice. I have the 3030 head which is a 3 way pan head, but others prefer a ball head. Depending on which head you buy, you're probably looking about $125-$150, if I recall the prices correctly. Here's a link to B&H's Bogen page

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=5138
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:21 PM   #8

About 3 years ago when I researched tripods the lightweight Velbons seemed to be the tripod of choice for pros wanting a lightweight travel tripod. A lot has probably happened in 3 years, but I have been quite happy with my Velbon. A cross brace in the legs would have been a hindrance in many situations. You can adjust the legs independently and set up in some really poor terrain with the 343E. Everything is a compromise. The more features and stability the more weight you have to lug around. http://bermangraphics.com/coolpix/velbon.htm

I agree with the suggestion to make a trip to B&H I wish I had a store like that convenient to me. You can evaluate a lot better with the tripods physically available.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 6:51 PM   #9

ohenry Nailed it,I have a whole bunch of cheap ones (Now light stands) until i found the Bogen 3221wn this is the best tripod i have come across ($164 no head) this baby goes from about 6 inches of the ground to about 70 inches Last one you will need. Unless you need light stands
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 9:06 PM   #10

I suggest the 3001 too, it is what I have and it's been enough for me although I'm seriously thinking of getting the taller version now that I have some heavier lenses.

What this tripod gives you that others don't at this price point is the ability to upgrade. Because the head isn't permanently afixed to the legs you can get a $50 ball-head or a tilt-pan head or a $350 Arca-Swiss ball head. Virtually any head will work on your tripod. If down the road you want to get a mono-pod you can reuse the head off the tripod, same thing with an upgrade to a carbon-fibre tripod. It's modular!

The Bogen Digi series is okay - alot of the same feature - stability & quality - but the heads are permanent. That to me is a real negative.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote