Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 9, 2004, 4:00 PM   #1

Default advice on a small camera with high storage capacity

I currently have a Canon Powershot S30 and have been pleased with its performance over the last few years. I use a 256 MB CF card that offers good performance and storage. However, I'm going to be spending a few months in Europe and would like a camera that is reasonably small and has high storage capacity. I'd love to get that Hitachi 4GB CF card due to it's huge size and cheap cost. However, I have found few cameras that are small in size and support CF/2. I'd love to get the S400, 410, or 500, but they only support CF1 it seems. Most are going toward SD and a few xD, but these don't (yet) offer the same capacity -- and certainly not the cost/MB ratio.

Any advice on a good camera or deal would be wonderful, thanks!
cxr341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2004, 4:10 PM   #2

Why not just buy a few CF cards?
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 4:15 PM   #3

Very true, I'd probably do that before jumping to SD, but the convenience of a single 4GB card at $188 is so great, even compared to a bunch of 256MBs at $40 or so or even a few 512MBs at $85 or so... at $45/GB, it's just so tantalizing :-)
cxr341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 4:47 PM   #4

If you are happy with the camera look into something like an Image Tank III. The 20 Gig model is about $200 and the 40 Gig about $250. There are other brands and models. It has a LiON battery with charger I presume dual voltage and it takes a variety of cards including CF. The GB model, which is faster but only takes CF is about the same price.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote