Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:18 AM   #1

Default How to Photograph Books?

I'm going to photograph books for a project I'm doing. Is there a certain way to do that (maybe like product photography)? Technical details I should know?

TIA
RotemFE777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:56 AM   #2

For what purpose? If you are taking pictures to display the covers for online sales or display purposes, then normal product photo techniques are fine. If the purpose is to digitize the text for editing and printing, you need to do things differently. There have been discussions in the Tips and Tricks forum on this topic. My own advice for this would be to get a wand scanner, rather than a camera.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
For what purpose? If you are taking pictures to display the covers for online sales or display purposes, then normal product photo techniques are fine. If the purpose is to digitize the text for editing and printing, you need to do things differently. There have been discussions in the Tips and Tricks forum on this topic. My own advice for this would be to get a wand scanner, rather than a camera.

brian
Like I've said, it's for a private project I'm doing.

I'll be photographing books open,closed, only the cover and even individual pages. Paper types and printing may vary.

I'm not trying to ask people for ideas, just for technical guiding for this type of photography. The ideas are mine and mine alone.
RotemFE777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:22 PM   #4

G'day mate

New or Old books, photographs etc & whatever ... we all take 'copies' of them from time to time
I suggest that you whiz around your local markets for an old "photo enlarger no longer required" esp one that has a metal column that slopes slightly [ie- the old Meopter or LPL brands]
When you unscrew the enlarger head you'll find a 1/4" tripod thread screw that immediately converts the old photo enlarger into a camera copy stand - and you can then keep it all perfectly in alignment as you wind the camera up & down to change the area seen by the lens

In years past I used to do lots of copying, using a 24mm wide lens ~ as these lenses are very well converted for distortion at the edges

Hope this is helpful in some way
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:18 AM   #5

Your biggest problem will be getting the pages to stay flat, perhaps a sheet of non reflective glass might help.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:54 AM   #6

Get a copy of Light: Science and Magic ( http://www.amazon.com/Light-Science-...ence+and+magic ). It will teach you everything you need to know about taming light to your purposes, which will change with each book you want to photograph. This is one of the most useful photography books ever written, to my way of thinking.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote