Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 9, 2004, 6:31 PM   #1

Default Sony DSC F-717 vs. Olympus C5060

After weeks of looking, I'm considering purchasing an Olympus C-5060 or Sony CyberShot DSC F-717. Does anyone have any positive/negatives in comparing either camera? My main uses will be close-up pictures to show detail of artwork, pictures to upload online, reference photos for painting (from landscapes to a butterfly on a flower), and possibly enlarging prints for printing. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!!!
Thanks!
siberhusky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2004, 7:46 PM   #2

I use the 717 and I have little to complain about it. The only thing I wish it had was a little bit more optical zoom. But other than that it is a great camera. I'm still a beginner but you can check out some of my pictures at my website. Its in the signature below. I've taken many close ups witht he 717 and it's a great camera for it.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 8:07 PM   #3

Default Thanks!

Some great pictures on your site! I have a friend who has the 717 and she loves it as well! I'll have to get her web address to send you. She's done some really neat things with her photos with a program called "Anfy," I think. I'm just not sure it's the best camera for me. I need low resolution pictures for my website but also need really good reference photos and the option to enlarge prints.
Frankly, right now my head is too full of camera specs and afraid I just don't know enough about what they mean to make a meaningful evaluation. Steve's Digicam Site has so much wonderful information, but it's hard to sort it out with limited understanding of the specs. My list of cameras is growing, not narrowing!!! Hope this forum will help sort it out!
REALLY appreciate your reply!
Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Some great pictures on your site! I have a friend who has the 717 and she loves it as well! I'll have to get her web address to send you. She's done some really neat things with her photos with a program called "Anfy," I think.
Thank you! I've only had the camera--what--2 months and I've never have taken pictures except for a point and shoot camera from Wal-Mart so I'm still learning about all the different techniques and lighting. Also, I'll have to see if I can find that program, it sounds pretty interesting.

Quote:
I'm just not sure it's the best camera for me. I need low resolution pictures for my website but also need really good reference photos and the option to enlarge prints.
I take my pictures had the highest resolution. I don't have Photoshop Elements or 7.0 yet so I'm using IrfanView to reduce the size of my image. Their still pretty high at about 200kb each on my website but someone here got them down to about 87kb.

Quote:
Frankly, right now my head is too full of camera specs and afraid I just don't know enough about what they mean to make a meaningful evaluation. Steve's Digicam Site has so much wonderful information, but it's hard to sort it out with limited understanding of the specs. My list of cameras is growing, not narrowing!!! Hope this forum will help sort it out!
REALLY appreciate your reply!
Yes, the specs are sometimes overwhelming. This might be able to explain some stuff: http://dpreview.com/learn/?/glossary/. And yes your list will grow . That's what happened to me. Finally I got it down to three: CoolPix 5700, 717 and a used or refurbished DSLR from eBay. I finally decided that the 717 would be the best camera and value for me. I got it on rebates from www.newegg.com. Hope that helps.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:57 AM   #5

Default Anfy website

Found the Website for Anfy. It's http://anfyteam.com/index.html . It's free to some extent, but very inexpensive to have full use of features. Still looking for my friends website & have emailed her for the address. Very nice site.
Thanks for all you input. I've been watching some cameras on EBay to see what they go for and may end up getting one there. Except for the ripoff shipping charges, the final prices are usually less than elsewhere and the sellers have good ratings.
My next "homework" assignment will be to go to the website you recommended and study!
Thanks again!
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:24 PM   #6

Dpreview's review of the Sony is like 19 pages, but it is an in depth technical review. Worth the time. Thanks for the link by the way :P