Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 10, 2004, 12:00 AM   #1

Default How to make an out of focus picture in focus

Over the weekend, I anciently pushed the shutter release button before the camera was able to fully focus. This is a once in a lifetime shot, and I really need it to be in focus. Iíve tried winking it Firework, but that didnít work.

Will this work to make the picture clear, make a 4x6 print out at Samís Club, then go over to the Fuji scanner (itís connected to the developing system) and make an 8x10 enlargement. I took the picture at 5MP.
iStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2004, 12:20 AM   #2

Sorry, an out of focus shot is an out of focus shot. You may be able to make it "acceptable" with photoshop depending on how badly out of focus it is...but I wouldn't count on it.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 1:24 AM   #3

Printing a 4x6 out of a 5 megapixel image and then having it scanned to reprint it at a larger size will further deteriorate the appearance of an out of focus image. Unfortunately you're out of luck in this case :?
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 5:55 AM   #4

If u posted a link to the pic here, it is possible someone might be able to sharpen it up for you.

Hopefully it's not rude!
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 12:46 PM   #5

u r out of luck

unless u have all those "programs" that are used in CSI and the like where you can make perfect picture out of a 1% crop of a digital image.

chiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 12:59 PM   #6

chiks
So true. I sure wish I could get my hands on that software.

iStudent
Another thing to consider is if you print at a smaller size. That can some times mask the fact that the picture is slightly out of focus. But that only works when it isn't that much OOF, if it's a lot, you are out of luck.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 1:28 PM   #7

Default Re: How to make an out of focus picture in focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStudent
This is a once in a lifetime shot, and I really need it to be in focus
It won't perform miracles, but you can improve apparent sharpness by experimenting with the sharpening facilities in many image viewers and editors.

For a start, download Irfanview and its plugins from www.infanview.com and experiment (on *copies* of the original file) with the 'sharpen' facility.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 4:11 PM   #8

If such a picture came back from a Marsrover, I'm sure somebody would find a way! Remember the Hubble telescope fiasco? they couldn't do much with those pics until they sent up the Shuttle and fixed its myopia with a pair of specs!

In the old days you could create a perception of sharpness using textured photo paper, but I've not seen this around for ages. Depending on the pic, if it was a person close up, you could use soften and atmos tools to make it look deliberate. But then if it was your new auto it wouldn't look right. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 5:24 PM   #9

I have had some success with artistic filters. Try turning it into a painting with angled strokes and experiment with the settings. Try auto levels and you will probably want to crank up the saturation just a touch for a painting. You can try some of the other filters but angled strokes usually does the best at making an out of focus picture look sharper. Use small strokes and it looks almost like a photo.

A small touch of smart blur seems to help sometimes as well.

There are some freeware image editors with painting filters if you are interested.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:16 PM   #10
NHL

Slipe has the right idea!

In Photoshop you can make a duplicate layer:
1. Then do Filter -> Stylize -> Emboss, at this point you can control the amount of sharpening by raising the height tab.
2. On the layer palette change the blend from Normal to Hard Light which will leave the edges behind making the photo appears sharper.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote