Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 11, 2004, 1:06 AM   #1

Default Digital Cameras with interchangable lenses

Can somone please give me a list of good quality digital cameras with interchangable lenses? I'm not just talking about '2x teleconverter' lenses either; cameras similar to the EOS cameras where you can remove the whole lense.
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2004, 1:22 AM   #2

Try here for starters:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_digpro.html
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 8:38 AM   #3

Do you have any equipment already (flashes, lenses,...)?
How much money are you willing to spend?
What will you use the camera for?

marokero's list is a good one, but maybe we can give you more targeted info.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 8:39 PM   #4

- No equipment yet

- ~$800

- learning more about advanced photography, nature shoots;
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 9:02 PM   #5

aack.......800........can't get much in that department with that ......
another thread was talking about a 4499.00 dollars!
i have a Canon G2 with a 1.75x converter that is very good and in your price range.......but that isn't wat your talking about
a digital rebel isn't too much higher than 800 (1000-1200?)
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 9:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckle
- No equipment yet

- ~$800

- learning more about advanced photography, nature shoots;
for 800 dollar you can't buy a new Digital SLR, even for a second-hand D-SLR is it probably a very tight budget.

The cheapest D-SLR, the "famous" Canon 300D/Digital rebel costs more than your budget, and you need one or two lenses to start with, a minimum of 256 mb Compact Flash memory and a bag to carry your system.

In another thread i once made an estimate, i copied/pasted it here:

Quote:
- D-rebel with kit lens: $989.00 The kit lens is good enough for starters, and the 18mm WA is nice for landscapes
- Lens: Canon - 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 II/III USM EF $269.00 - A not to expensive zoom lens for sports, i chose the slightly more expensive USM version for faster focussing
- Memory: 256 MB CF card $75.00 - 256 is the bare minimum, 512 MB would be better($150)
- Bag: $50 minimum - You need a good bag, with a bit of room to grow, to protect your investment

This is the minimum, in my humble opinion, what you'll need if you want to buy the DRebel, making a total of $1383.

Optional extra's
- lot of slr owners put UV filters on their lenses to protect them from scratches and dirt. UV's are easy and relatively cheap to replace. ($20-$50 for both lenses)
- external flash ($???.??)
- spare battery ($40+)
- Lens Hood ($??)

With the extra's, 1500 dollar is the minimum. Past this point, the sky is the limit, faster, larger better lenses, more memory. you want it, you can have it
As you can see, for a new, basic, D-SLR setup, you need something close to twice your current budget, and you need to be ready to spend even more, because there are always things you discover later, that you "need" some other equipment.

If second hand is an option, i don't know. I never buy stuff second hand, and i don't know about prices for second hand equipment.

(and if you're wondering how much the gear in my signature was: In 3 weeks time i bought this setup, and paid about 4.500 euro ($5.700+) )
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:07 PM   #7

Marc H
That makes me feel better. In one day I spent a bit over $4,000USD on my equipment, but I've added between 1-2 thousand more over the following few months.

huckle
You still haven't said what type of photography you want to do. Please, please, be specific. If you said you wanted to take pictures of birds, you need long lenses (which are expensive.) If you do macro work, you need a macro lens or a good lens with extention tubes or a macro lens attachment. For portrates, you need a good 80mm or so lens a flash and/or reflectors. You see what I mean? Without saying what you want to do, there is absolutely no hope of us helping you in a concrete way.

As to your price tag.... You will have to go used to get anything in that price range. Maybe a Canon D30 and 1 or (maybe) 2 lenses can be had for that price range, but that still won't include an extra battery and 1 or 2 CF cards. And we haven't even mentioned a camera bag.

Of as others have said, get a digicam not a replaceable lens DSLR.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote