Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 28, 2012, 1:45 PM   #1

Default Camera Insurance

At the first of the year I bought Camera Insurance from State Farm. It covers any and all losses of camera gear that you list. Fast forward to the 5th. of December.

My wife and I were out taking photos, I was using her Canon 300 L. I wanted to sneak a little closer to an Eagle that was feeding on a dead Salmon at the waters edge of the Samish River. Well, the little embankment that I was trying to sneak down was quite a bit slicker than I thought it would be. I slipped and fell down. My body and my right elbow took the brunt of the impact. Nothing was broken except my pride and a tremendous chance for an awesome photo.

Or, at least that is what I thought until I tried to take another photo. The camera and lens would not communicate. The Lens would not focus. That's when I remembered that the lens was a used lens that I had bought, so there was No Warranty on it.

We called Canon as soon as we got home. They said to ship it off to them for an estimate on the repairs. So, I rushed it to them. The bill turned out to be $308.75. :yike: But I paid it immediately so that we could get the lens back as soon as we could. They did the repairs and shipped it back to me post haste within 7 days.

When I got it back I tested it out and it worked Fantastic! Then I remembered I had Insurance on the lens! I called my Local State Farm Insurance company and talked to my Representative. She advised me that the lens repair was indeed covered by my policy, so they are mailing me a check to cover 100% of the repairs and shipping!

If you are a Photography nut like I am and you own a DSLR and a couple of lenses you really owe it to yourself to purchase Insurance to cover your gear!

My insurance only cost me $105 per year for all the cameras and lenses that I have listed, but it has Already Paid for Itself in just a few short months! I suggest that you Highly consider getting this kind of coverage on your gear!

Dick
2 Canon 7D Cameras, Canon 5D Mark II Camera, Canon 17-40 F/4 L lens, 2 Canon 24-105 L lens, Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens, Canon 300 f/4 IS L lens, Canon 400 f/4 L lens, Canon 1.4X L extender, Canon 2X L extender, Canon 430 EX Flash, Canon 530 EX Flash
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:49 AM   #2

And if you shoot professionally, it is absolutely essential ... and a business ethics issue. I have a friend who had 3 consecutive weddings in 3 cities. At the second wedding site, his car was broken into stealing about $30,000 of gear including a laptop. Luckily he had uploaded the 1st wedding - but that was his only backup. Rented gear and completed the remaining shoots.

While he did have insurance on the equipment, police told him that is he had Lojack on his laptop would have been able to get to and possibly before they had time to get rid of the stolen gear. He now has Lojack on his new laptop.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 7:27 AM   #3

Let us know what your premium is for next year.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:27 PM   #4

State Farm is pretty good. I made a claim on my camera insurance a week after I paid my first monthly payment on the premium. Premium never went up. Of course I had a lot of years of auto insurance with them. Camera insurance is absolutely a critical thing if you have a large investment in gear. But, you have to be careful - homeowners won't cover everything - you need a Personal Articles or Inland Marine policy and none of that is worth anything if you're working in a professional capacity - for that you need a different type of policy. In that case, Hill and Usher is the place to look - not just for equipment but for liability as well.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:17 AM   #5

I hear you John! I've been with State Farm Insurance for over 30 years now and this was the Second Claim I have ever put in, so they should treat me right. My fist claim was for a Break in and Theft of 42,500 worth of wood working tools. Our deductible never went up then. That's why we stay with State Farm!

Dick
2 Canon 7D Cameras, Canon 5D Mark II Camera, Canon 17-40 F/4 L lens, 2 Canon 24-105 L lens, Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens, Canon 300 f/4 IS L lens, Canon 400 f/4 L lens, Canon 1.4X L extender, Canon 2X L extender, Canon 430 EX Flash, Canon 530 EX Flash
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpawrichard View Post
... Our deductible never went up ...
You pick your deductible; the insurance company sets the premium. If they judge you to be a high risk, they'll set a higher premium. Filing a claim is the one sure way to make you seem like a high risk.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:59 PM   #7

I meant to say our Rates never went up. I called my Insurance Agent today to see if the rates on my Camera Insurance would go up because of the claim and was told No. The Only way my rates would go up is if I added more camera gear to my list. She said that my record with State Farm was so good that this small claim would be of no consequence.

Dick