Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
... I really haven't gotten a good answer as to why a mac is worth the extra money
It's the Bling.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy McKown View Post
Photoshop was being used on Mac for nearly 5 years before it was made available on Windows .. that got the idea well established. Windows photographers are just now starting to hear about thunderbolt technology because it has been mac only. ...
Thunderbolt is simply a consolidation of PCIe and DisplayPort which have both been integral to PCs for years. DisplayPort was a License Free replacement for DVI, developed by a bunch of PC manufacturers and Monitor manufacturers that were tired of paying the license fees. Thunderbolt is just piggybacking on technology that's been in place for PCs for years.

Quote:
... I've never gotten a single virus or browser hijack thingy on my macs.
I suspect you just don't know it. Most malware is written in Java, javascript, or some other scripting language, and thus is platform independant. And remember that the MacOS rides on top of BSD Unix. If you don't think there are Unix viruses, you're mistaken. Certainly IE is a big target, so any alternative lessens the probability of an infection, but that's got nothing to do with the underlying platform.

Quote:
... Now we have Retina screens on the Macbook Pros and I'm sure they will follow up with adding it to the iMac lineup. As far as photography and any visual media goes nothing can even come close to comparing. ...
Retina displays are great for viewing, but they're a pain for editting. The more pixels you pack into a small area, the smaller those pixels are, and so the harder it is to precisely select a point or a portion of an image. For photo editing, you're better off with the largest display with the lowest resolution.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:17 AM   #13

I think that in the end its what you prefer. I like the idea of switching on my computer and just using it so what was a leap of faith 2 years ago has been great for me. I still have to use a pc at work just got a new lap top and same old problems really looking for drivers and configuring software. apple just seems to work out of the box
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by arketah View Post
It true that without good graphic card it is useless.
Depends on what you are doing. Both MAC and PC use graphics cards so this is kind of moot in any case.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Depends on what you are doing. Both MAC and PC use graphics cards so this is kind of moot in any case.
But the choices available for the Mac are fewer and in some cases, not as good as for Windows.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The advantage of the Mac is that you generally don't need to configure it.

The disadvantage of the Mac is that, if you need to configure it, it's tough.

The disadvantage of the PC is that you need to configure it.

The advantage of the PC is that configuring it is easy.

I've been saying that for 25 years.
The advantage of the PC is that you pay less for hardware

The disadvantage of the PC is that you need to know what hardware to pick

The disadvantage of the Mac is that you pay more for hardware

The advantage of the MAC is that you don't need to know what hardware to pick

For example a new quad core Mac Pro is about $2,500, it is a great powerful machine.

I can build you a PC from parts for half the price or less that will be just as powerful, but if you don't know how to pick the parts you can easily put a bottle neck in your system.

You could also go find a work station PC with very much the same specs for half the price (Lenovo Thinkstation for example).

But which one is easier to get the most out of? clearly the MAC so if you don't like digging in to the technical side you're better off going to with the Apple.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:15 PM   #17

for what it's worth - I just went through the decision myself. I have an aging dell laptop that has been limping along. With raw images from a 5diii to process it no longer cut the mustard. Now, I still need capability to edit with just the laptop - that's real world. I can't always work in the office with an external monitor. So, you're looking at needing the top macbook pro just to get the 512gb in drives - 256 is a bit small. That's $2800. One down side is Photoshop still doesn't support retina display - and a lot of other software doesn't yet. Things don't look very good for apps until this gets fixed.

Now, on the PC side of things I still wanted a great display - which means ISP. I also wanted quality graphics card, quad core and SSD.

After a LOT of research I was down to Asus vs. Alienware. The reviews were very positive on the ASUS machines so I got a Zenbook 15" for $2269.
  • 2.1GHz Intel Core i7-3612QM Quad-Core
  • 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
  • Dual 256GB Solid State Drives (512GB)
  • nVIDIA GeForce GT 650M Graphics (2GB)
  • 15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display
  • 1920 x 1080 Native Resolution
  • 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet
  • 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
  • Integrated Webcam, Microphone & Speakers
  • Windows 8 Pro (64-bit)
besides the price difference of $500, there is the retina issue with apps and I would have had to buy a new external hard drive that was iOS compatible - so that's another $200.

Next step is upgrading the external monitor - that's either the Dell 2713HM ($650) or 2713H ($850) - to date I've done all my editing in sRGB so not sure I want to go full-out for wider gamut of the 2713. But that's a decision for down the road
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
But which one is easier to get the most out of? clearly the MAC ...
I was right with you, until you said that.

What counts is the software, and there's more software available for Windows. The underlying OS may have a tweak or two that makes one more attractive than the other, but if you can do what you want the way you want within the application(s), then the OS is a non-factor.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I was right with you, until you said that.

What counts is the software, and there's more software available for Windows. The underlying OS may have a tweak or two that makes one more attractive than the other, but if you can do what you want the way you want within the application(s), then the OS is a non-factor.
I guess I meant easier to use/configure
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:18 PM   #20

My last Apple was an Apple II until I recently bought an iPad. Have been PC ever since business forced me into an 8086 machine running DOS 3.3. The Windows 8 interface is about to send me back to Apple. The big square blinking blocks on the Start screen is garrish. The only way to change your desktop with you own photo backgrounds (go figure, photographers might like to do that) is to revert it's look to Win 7. Finally, touchscreen is a joke. The last thing I would want to do is contiually clean the fingerprints off a 24" monitor like I do on the iPad when the alternative is staring through a smudged monitor as you critically edit in Photoshop.

While my desktop is a screaming Core i7 machine that I built, the laptop and wife's desktop need to be replaced and will probably be Apple.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote