Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
My last Apple was an Apple II until I recently bought an iPad. Have been PC ever since business forced me into an 8086 machine running DOS 3.3. The Windows 8 interface is about to send me back to Apple. ...
Don't jump ship too soon. Apple's about to do something similar.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:52 PM   #22

I got my wife a Win8 laptop for Xmas, and she seems to like it pretty well. I find the Metro UI somewhat less than entertaining, myself, but the standard interface is just a click away, and isn't too different. I did add a Win8 start button program for simpler access to the o/s settings (in my account on the machine).
I just replaced my 10 year old Dell with a box I built on a 6-core cpu. Seems really fast to me, but then I'm comparing it to a Pentium 4 with 1GB ram.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
My last Apple was an Apple II until I recently bought an iPad. Have been PC ever since business forced me into an 8086 machine running DOS 3.3.
Just about the way I started with a Franklin computer, it was a Apple II clone. Though my first computer was a TI 994a with a cassette drive for storage. I'm still running PC for my desktop and laptop computers but use Ipod Touch (3 son, daughter, me), Ipad (4, wife, daughter, mom, me) and Iphone5 (5 all of us). So I'm thinking about going with a Imac computer when I upgrade my system. Have been looking at (the wife the one looking) 27 Imac with the I7 CPU, 2 gig video card, 32 gig memory and their large SSD drive, thinking this should last for a few years before having to upgrade again. Our thinking is if everything we own is all one brand it should be easier to use and nowadays I like easy. Then again I keep wondering if a PC will as well and I could save about $1,000.00 over the Imac system?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Just about the way I started with a Franklin computer, it was a Apple II clone. Though my first computer was a TI 994a with a cassette drive for storage. I'm still running PC for my desktop and laptop computers but use Ipod Touch (3 son, daughter, me), Ipad (4, wife, daughter, mom, me) and Iphone5 (5 all of us). So I'm thinking about going with a Imac computer when I upgrade my system. Have been looking at (the wife the one looking) 27 Imac with the I7 CPU, 2 gig video card, 32 gig memory and their large SSD drive, thinking this should last for a few years before having to upgrade again. Our thinking is if everything we own is all one brand it should be easier to use and nowadays I like easy. Then again I keep wondering if a PC will as well and I could save about $1,000.00 over the Imac system?
I always say people should consider what system they have already invested in, especially for mobile devices. I have many iPhone friends ask about switching to Android, I usually ask how invested they are into the ecosystem in terms of apps and other devices.

My first PCs were the vic 20 and commodore 64 (can't remember the order) with cassette storage so your comment on the TI 994a brought back memories, childhood memories lol I was 12!

I've used iPads for work and my daughter has an iPod touch but the rest of the devices in the house are windows or android. I've recently bought myself a Nexus 10 and now the work iPad sits at work. My main reason was compatibility. With the Nexus 10 I can easily stream content from my NAS that all my windows machines can also connect to, Apple devices on the other hand were never able to do this for me, some apps could get me to the NAS but I couldn't play all content and I couldn't cut and paste files from the NAS if I wanted to take them on the go. For me the NAS is the central thing, I have all the windows machines backing up to it and I use it for photo back up.

I know people with all apple devices who use the apple timeport backup devices, they are pretty full proof and easy to setup. He recently lost the hard drive on his family iMac, he said the restore process was really smooth.

I know from having setup backup on Windows and having restored from backup that it is not something for the faint of heart.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:06 AM   #25

I began using CPM, then DOS, then Windows, then Mac about 18 years ago. Last year, I switched back to Windows, first with a Lenovo Thinkpad with a wonderful keyboard and IPS display and later with a Dell XPS that cost me half of what a similarly spec'd Mac mini would cost.

But cost wasn't the thing. My reason for using Macs was the OS, not the hardware. But MacOS seems to have gone from a very flexible to a much more controlled environment. My favorite application never made the switch to Lion and Mountain Lion, and increasingly Apple has tried to make the interface as simple and limited as possible, though one can individualize it. Windows 7 seemed like a breath of fresh air, and after a period of adjustment (missing mostly Aperture and Apple Mail), I find that either platform would be just fine.

The main element is now the hardware one, where I could put a SSD 256GB into my Thinkpad after purchase at nominal cost, whereas the Mac notebooks are basically closed systems. I can add an external display of any type I want, while the iMac leaves you with no choice. I can upgrade the video card if need be, but the new Mac minis do not even give you a choice beyond the shared Intel HD Graphics 4000. There's nothing wrong with all that, but I do like flexibility in my computing environment. I guess that is why I prefer interchangeable lens cameras to the most advanced digicams, too.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote