Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2013, 2:18 PM   #1

Default Apple or Windows

I would like to know which system is widely used by photographers Apple or Windows computer. I am getting conflicting information about the systems used by Visual Media Professionals.

Currently I am using Windows and the only program that I like to use is ProShow Gold to create slide shows.

Are the movies and photo processing done on Apple better than on Windows?

Any recommendation or advice on both these systems is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
kleanchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:02 PM   #2

Back twenty years ago or more, Macs were noticeably preferable for image processing and non-linear editing. Basically, in the last decade plus, it hasn't made much dfference which platform you use. There will be particular software applications that will be more reliable on one platform than the other (e.g., Capture NX2 from Nikon has been more buggy in its Mac implementation than its Windows one), but as a general rule there isn't any compelling reason to choose one over the other any more. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:05 PM   #3

What matters most, for Windows users, is the performance of the graphics card. If you buy a Windows computer and don't invest in a good graphics card, you'd have been better off with a Mac.

Another factor is the speed of the hard disk drive. Since graphics programs, especially Adobe programs, use virtual memory, the speed of the HDD will affect performance.

In other words, you can fine tune a Windows computer to outperform a Mac, but you have to.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:39 PM   #4

I don't think there's necessarily an absolute "better" answer at this stage. Some people will prefer one system to the other because it will be more logical or user friendly to them and the way they think. Personally I prefer a Mac, but know many who hate it. I own Mac, but work on Windows (but not image editing) at work so it really doesn't make much difference to me.

There used to be a couple of specialized image editing programs that worked on one platform (there's one that astrophotographers use that's Windows only, and another sharpening program that was popular for a while). Some people prefer Aperture over Lightroom, and so would prefer a mac. Except for a couple of specialized programs, I think it is mostly a personal choice.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:23 AM   #5

i change to a mac 2 years ago after 30 years of pc's. quick answer i will never go back.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:05 AM   #6

As an enthusiastic amateur I have used a PC for the 10 years I have been image editing, Photoshop Elements mainly and never felt the need to own a Mac. If I chose to move to a Mac the same programs will be for the most part available on either platform.

My understanding is the the Mac has always been perceived as the platform of choice for the serious photographer.However you have to be prepared to pay at least double what you might pay for a similarly performing PC so cost is an issue. Mac owners will no doubt confirm,but for your money ignoring performance you also get a product that is more than just a box,it looks good and may be better built.

Its a matter of personal choice really.
JPW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:06 AM   #7

The advantage of the Mac is that you generally don't need to configure it.

The disadvantage of the Mac is that, if you need to configure it, it's tough.

The disadvantage of the PC is that you need to configure it.

The advantage of the PC is that configuring it is easy.

I've been saying that for 25 years.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleanchap View Post

Are the movies and photo processing done on Apple better than on Windows?
No.

Some people find macs easier to use, others prefer the flexibility of PCs. (pretty much what TCav said)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:29 AM   #9
NHL

My MAC is dual boot - I run both Window and MAC OS... Problem solved!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:34 AM   #10

User interface of MAC is preferred by many. Some say PCs are more virus prone. I've always run virus software and never had an issue. Upgrades to MAC are a bit more expensive and in the case of laptops sometimes you cannot upgrade memory. I really haven't gotten a good answer as to why a mac is worth the extra money
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote