Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2004, 8:18 AM   #11

I too am wanting to concentrate on doing professional photography. I am talking it up with people and getting the word out by word-of-mouth that I have a website PhotosByNeal.com. It is still in the beginning stage and I have much work to do on the site. Right now the link just points to a store I have setup on CafePress.com. I hope to do some more work this weekend. I am also working on a business plan with a friend from church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
"2004 Photographer's Market: 2,000 Places to Sell Your Photographs (Photographer's Market, 2004)"
I just ordered this book on Monday and hopefully it will be here today. I have heard good things about this book. You might also want to check out Overstock.com, they have many photography books cheaper than Amazon, including the 2004 Photographer's Market

I have been looking in my library, but I live in a small town and I think most of the books are a little old.

IMO, it's good that you are setting out to do this while you are young! I am about ..... years older than you and I wish that I got started in photography earlier! The advances in equipment will make your job so much easier. I've always been interested in photography, but was scared off by the complexity of the camera. DigiCams have re-kindled that inner photography fire for me and I am looking forward to all I can learn!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 7:56 PM   #12

hope you do well with your business

i've entered one of my pictures in the picture.com photo contest for amateurs......i've gotten a couple of letters.....one telling me they want to publish it in a book (lol they also want me to buy it ) and one asking if i would go to a photography convention.....unfortunately the convention would cost over 600 dollars for me and i wouldn't go by myself.....lol.....in your opinion.....do you think they actually care about my picture? or are just using me to get money (buying the book and such)?

plz answer honestly ! i would like to hear your opinion......
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 8:31 PM   #13

You got the right idea, I have about 4 of those around here somewhere. Just another way to get some cash from you, nothing wrong with it if you wan't to buy the book.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 9:08 PM   #14

thanks....that is wat i thought
maybe i'll win the contest (i wish lol)
i don't think i have to buy anything to win......or participate or anything

but wat i don't get about the convention......is y would you have to pay for a concert.....or midnight parties(lol i'm 15 remember)
doesn't make sense for me to pay for something i wouldn't go to anyway!
Old Feb 17, 2004, 12:52 PM   #15

Hey Vito,

Yes, they just want your money. Years ago I received something in the mail saying that they would list me in "Who's Who" if I just sent them some $$$$.

I ran a website that was listed in a trade publication. They not only listed me (for free) but also sent me copies of the book (for free). So, there are legit publications out there. I see no reason to enter a contest that you have to pay for, unless of course it is a very well known contest that others can testify to its validity.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 2:03 PM   #16

well lol this is "The International Library of Photography" or something like that lol
sounds official.......i might be wrong though.....i'm entered in the contest and that is it so far lol
haven't bought anything from it........
Old Feb 17, 2004, 2:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
well lol this is "The International Library of Photography" or something like that lol
sounds official.......i might be wrong though.....i'm entered in the contest and that is it so far lol
haven't bought anything from it........
You might want to read this:

http://tinyurl.com/2shbz

and this:

http://tinyurl.com/2ws95
Old Feb 17, 2004, 2:44 PM   #18

They could just be getting you to enter to steal the picture.

I've a friend who is a pro who talks about being aproached at trade shows being asked for a CD of his work. Turns out they asked everyone there and were just looking to take the pics and use them as they wished (with no compensation, of course.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 8:11 PM   #19

Also check this out:

http://tinyurl.com/35dh6
Old Feb 17, 2004, 8:39 PM   #20

hmmm maybe i shouldn't have entered the contest lol