Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:43 PM   #11

Default No Happy Ending

All 187 shops closed their doors today,very sudden. Obviously no interested buyers for the business or any part of it. High street photography retail is clearly not the place to be.
JPW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:03 PM   #12

i always found jessops prices to be around the same as online stores, but then i guess they still have to pay rents on the shops, a few days ago i was looking to buy a D7000 and jessops were exactly the same price as online stores (at least ones i would use), luckily for me no jessops near had any in stock so i had to buy it from amazon.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
another reason they will keep their stores in nyc, is location location location......
Also, both are family businesses; I can only speak for Adorama, but our founder and owner still comes into the office above the store most days.
Maybe the importance of maintaining that continuity keeps us grounded - and determined to survive?

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
Also, both are family businesses; I can only speak for Adorama, but our founder and owner still comes into the office above the store most days.
Maybe the importance of maintaining that continuity keeps us grounded - and determined to survive?
No doubt-but by the look of it we're not comparing like with like here. If I interpret shoturtles post correctly Adorama is a big on-line presence with one large New York store,Jessops was a family firm once, Frank Jessop sold out years back .They had an on-line presence in the UK but were really known for their stores all 187 of them and all that floorspace with associated rents and diminishing sales was ultimately a recipe for disaster whoever was in charge.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:48 PM   #15

Yes Adorama, BH and JR only has one store location. They all have huge online presents.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:29 PM   #16

If you have a camera in for repair in one of their stores, a gift card or somehow paid them for something in advance your screwed

From their website:

The notice below sets out important information for customers.

Gift vouchers – Gift cards and vouchers are unable to be honoured, Jessops will not be trading on-line or via the store network. If you wish to register a claim in respect of an unredeemed voucher, please see information on registering claims below.

Pre-paid orders / deposits – Customers who have ordered and paid for all or part of their stock either in store or online will not receive their stock purchase. Customers who have paid using credit cards should contact their credit card company to try and seek resolution to this matter. If you are unable to obtain a refund through your credit card company and wish to register a claim, please see the information below.

Repairs – Where possible customers should liaise with the repair agent to arrange return of their asset and third party repair agents have been notified about this. If you do not know which repair agent has possession of your asset, we have requested the repair agents to contact customers directly as well.

Please note that the estimate of the costs of repair will need to be agreed with the repair agents directly, and there is no guarantee that previously agreed estimate costs will be honoured by the repair agents.

Manufacturer warranties – Our current understanding is that manufacturers will continue to honour the warranties sold through the Jessops stores.

Jessop Care Plan – This is a product provided by Jessops’ partner Domestic and General. We understand that Domestic and General will continue to honour these care plans. Please contact Domestic and General on 08444 810 500 with any queries.

Academy courses – Unfortunately customers who have pre paid for academy courses will not receive a refund and these courses will not take place following the store closures. Customers who have paid using credit cards should contact their credit card company to try and seek resolution to this matter. If you are unable to obtain a refund through your credit card company and wish to register a claim, please see the information below.

Photo / photo product orders – Unfortunately we are unable to guarantee the return of photo orders that have not been collected in store by the end of trading on Friday 11 January. We have asked the store managers where possible to contact customers to arrange collection of these as soon as possible. For uncollected photos we will ask for these to be disposed of as confidential information.

Repairs in store on closure - Store Managers have been requested to contact customers directly if repairs have been returned to the shops, this will be done post closure and collection arranged with the manager. Please do not attend the store unless advised by the manager as access will otherwise not be possible.
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektachrome View Post
If you have a camera in for repair in one of their stores, a gift card or somehow paid them for something in advance your screwed

From their website:

The notice below sets out important information for customers.

Photo / photo product orders – Unfortunately we are unable to guarantee the return of photo orders that have not been collected in store by the end of trading on Friday 11 January. We have asked the store managers where possible to contact customers to arrange collection of these as soon as possible. For uncollected photos we will ask for these to be disposed of as confidential information.
I was in that position as I had ordered a CEWE photobook through them paid and the job had been done but not yet dispatched when Jessops went down.It was only £45 so though annoying I could live with that.

I rang Jessops photo to be told they were a "diifferent company" and so not affected .I don't think that's right,without getting too legal here I contracted with Jessops,CEWE may have done the job but I had no contract with them.So I sent off a fairly strong e mail to the Administrators telling them under no circumstances to dispose of my photobook and as the stores were closing where would it be delivered ? I eventually managed to get hold of the closed store where someone was clearing stock out to be told they had an arrangement with the Jewellers next door to collect their post! I'm now waiting in hope rather than expectation.

Bottom line is I might get my photobook but all the other categories mentioned have no chance. That is sad but its the poor staff I feel really sorry for .When I spoke to the store the man I spoke to was 68 and about to retire anyway but told me they had just appointed a new manager who is now out of work possibly having left a good job to get that post.That is tough.What with Jessops and now HMV the UK's last major cd/dvd retailer going into administration yesterday,its pretty gloomy on the UK high street.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:54 AM   #18

I did recently buy some stuff from a local Jessops that was priced very close to the online price plus I was able to handle it.
So no complaints there but I bought a P&S from PC world on line pick up and pay at store, unfortunately the nearest store shown with stock was 20 miles away.
So on the way I stopped at a branch 7 miles away to see if they had one on the shelf, they had, I handled it and asked if they had any others in stock, they said they had one in their store room, plus the one on the shelf ,so I asked to buy it, they wanted a £100 more than the pick up at store price on line. I asked why they didn't show stock on line and they said they always have to have two in stock. How bonkers is that,? they wouldn't sell it to me so I had to go another 13 miles but I will think twice before using PC world again.
There were three small dealers near me, I bought my D40 from dealer 1 who when it went wrong told me to send it to Nikons myself, which I did.
So when I bought the D5000 I bought it at dealer 2 when that had a recall 7 days later they refused to change it or send it back to Nikon so I did it myself again. When I wanted to get the D5100 I went to dealer 3 ,he said he couldn't even give me a price for it.
Dealer 1 is now closed down dealer 3 now only sells telescopes. Dealer 2 is still going but only sells Nikon, Canon & Panasonic.I recently phoned dealer 2 to ask for a price on an item ,I was told he would phone me back,two more phone calls still no phone call back. I bought it on line.
My point is some high street dealers are not trying very hard.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote