Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:22 AM   #1

Default Sony RX1: solutions I am looking for?

I shoot with Leica M9 and Summilux 35 and 50mm and with Elmarit 28 and 90 mm. My problem is that I have a slight hand shake. In addition I more and more dislike to carry the weight of the M9 and its four lenses of over 2.100 grams around.
A third problem is that I am spoiled by the really fantastic IQ which the FF sensor of my M9 produces, and as a result consider the lesser IQ of non FF cameras as a step back in IQ!

I have been studying all kind of options for addressing the hand shake, a.o. looking for cameras with built-in AS that can take my Leica glass. I ended up with the X-Pro, XE1, Em5 that can use Leica glass, but the Fuji's have no AS, the Em5 does so but esp in the Em5 my lenses all become tele-lenses due to the multiplier of x2. In addition the IQ of these cameras can, (in my subjective opinion) absolutely not get close to the IQ of the M9 that I like so much.
FF Nikon/Canon cameras are all far too heavy and bulky to enjoy walking around with.

However I did run into one camera that get's close to my wishes: the FF Sony XR1 with 35mm fixed top quality lens. But the RX1 has no AS and no VF and shooting with the LCD while sticking my hands in the air, does certainly not reduce my hand shake! However to solve that problem I could purchase the excellent EVF that RX1 offers.

Now my most important question: is my expectation correct that the excellent ISO and low noise performance of the RX1 will make it possible to shoot in far higher shutter speeds than the M9 due to its rather mediocre ISO noise performance can handle?
If this observation is correct will the substantially higher shutter speeds solve part of my hand shake problem?

Since the RX1 is smaller than the M9 and its weight (with lens) only 482 g against the M9 with Summi 35mm 920 g, it will also be a pleasure to carry the RX1 around.

Yes, I am aware that the RX1 only offers a 35mm fixed lens, but I noticed that I already most of the time shoot with the 35mm Summilux followed by the 50 mm Summilux. So I hope I can live with just 35mm.

Thank you all for your thoughts and advise!

Remark: I asked the above questions also on other forums.
Muizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:51 AM   #2

Much of what you ask depends on what you'll be shooting.
Yes,good high iso performance opens up a wider shutter speed ceiling- counteracting a lack of IS to a degree- though if you wanted a large depth of field that ceiling decreases somewhat.
From what I've seen,The RX1 certainly performs well at elevated iso settings- and given the high resolution,if you weren't printing out HUGE sizes,you could use seriously high settings with careful NR and re-sizing.
Would you find the 35mm lens limiting...? Well,again that depends on what you plan to shoot- though be aware that the AF on the Sony isn't lightning fast and not really suited for fast moving subjects.
Here's some downloadable images taken with the RX1, with various iso settings,shutter speeds and aperture settings- also some RAW... :_

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...sample_images/
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:00 AM   #3

Thank for your thoughts.
I like wide open shooting and shooting of landscape, architecture, interior (museums, churches) and family.
As far as AF is concerned I wonder whether the AF is suited for low light?
Harry
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:56 AM   #4

The Sony RX1 is smaller and lighter than the Leica M9 with a lens, it also has less noise and greater dynamic range, and (something you overlooked) it has SteadyShot image stabilization (though it doesn't have a viewfinder.)

It is, however, available for rent, if you want to try one out.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:04 AM   #5

TCav, it seems that the steady shot is not for stills but for video?
I will try to find out,
Thanks,
Harry
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muizen View Post
it seems that the steady shot is not for stills but for video?
No, SteadyShot is available for both stills and video, but for video it crops the image a little, resulting in a slightly narrower angle of view, which is why there's a caveat for video in the specs.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:11 PM   #7

As goes a. o. from the RX1 spec.- list in DPreview no anti shake is present in this camera for shooting photos. It is for video only.
I would be very happy if I was wrong!
See: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/son...shot-dsc-rx1/2
Harry

Last edited by Muizen; Feb 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typing error
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:48 PM   #8

There apears to be some confusion as to whether the RX1 has image stabilization or not. Many review sites contradict one another about it, and in fact different Sony sites state different things. Apparently, the Sony RX1 from B&H Photo Video is stabilized, but the one from Adorama isn't.

If you plan to rent one, you'll probably find out before I will, but I'm still checking.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:32 AM   #9

Thank you TCav for checking out.
Renting here in Belgium is just not possible, so I have to wait until I hear from you.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:11 PM   #10

Sony UK website suggests the RX1 has electronic stabilizer for movie capture- and no optical stabilizer...!
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dsc-r-...ifications#tab

Ken Rockwell says "no" also...
http://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/rx1.htm

Last edited by SIMON40; Feb 11, 2013 at 5:22 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote