Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2004, 6:08 AM   #1

Default Best Vacation for Photos

What's the best place you ever visited on vacation/holiday for taking photographs?
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2004, 8:13 AM   #2

The best place for one person isn't necessarily best for another, but I notice you're in Colorado, a state I've yet to visit but have always imagined to be a photographer's nirvana. Look around you with new eyes.

I live next to a city founded by the Dutch in the 1600's. Some of the old Dutch village areas remain, and they sit waiting to have their pictures taken. Have I done this? No. I'm always wandering farther away, absolutely sure the photos are somewhere else.

Maybe you and I ought to trade homes for two weeks so we can each take the photos the other person should have taken.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 8:21 AM   #3

I couldn't agree more with Barbara. Sometimes we don't see what's right in front of our eyes.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 8:28 AM   #4

My best photo vacation.... I have two. One is when I went to England when I was... 16 or so. I had loads of fun, visiting all kinds of castles and ruins. My pictures aren't great, but they remind me of that trip and that is what matters.

The other one is my trip up the coast of Maine every year. I showed a bit of my work at a photo club a few weeks back. When picking out what I showed, I ended up showing only pictures from that vacation... it was some of my best work.

I can't wait to get back up there.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 8:36 AM   #5

I also agree with Barbara.

I used to live in COS and did not have a DigiCam back in those days. I would love to go back to The Springs and re-take all those pictures I took with my 35mm! The pictures are now all moldy and yucky

I have lived and travelled many places in these United States. I'm not going to name them all, but I'll say that everyplace has pros and cons! Although, I didn't find any cons about COS, except for maybe living next to I-25.

I now live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. I have been here for about 3 years now and this is a beautiful area (not as beautiful as CO!) and as Barbara said, I am busy elsewhere instead of out taking pictures right in my area.

But, to answer your question, I think the best place for taking pictures is the Caribbean!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:32 AM   #6

Great responses everyone, THX! Believe me, I could easily spend all my free time here in Colorado. We moved here four years ago and it has exceeded my expectations. It is indeed an exciting place to take photos (and ski, hike, camp and go fourwheeling). My wife really likes to travel a few times a year, however, and I like to make her happy. Coincidently enough, I spent a week on the coast of Maine last summer attending a family reunion and a long weekend in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia this past fall where one of my children attends college ( I also lived there for three years during my undergraduate studies). I have an album of both visits (I know, I know.... I'm shameless about this) if you'd like to visit my website below. Bcoulty - intrigung idea about the vacation home swap, pls. send me an email at [email protected] earthlink.net to discuss.

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:26 AM   #7

Very nice pictures! On those mountain hikes, just make sure you don't wander too far on Cheyenne Mt.!

My wife has friends in South Dakota (or is it North??) and when the kids are older we'd like to do a road trip and drive out West and see the sights! My wife has never been to Colorado, so I want to take her and show her all my old hangouts!

Swapping homes sounds like fun! You'll have to clean mine!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:46 AM   #8

The best photo vacation for me is where someone else pays for it

Like when I got sent to LotusSphere(I still have no idea why) in WallyWorld for a week. All expenses paid at the Dolphin Hotel

I could use a few more like that. :lol:
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 2:42 PM   #9

Couldn't we all?

My dad was sent to Hawaii for 5 years in a row (a week) when we were kids. He did work on observatories (building the buildings.) Sounds like fun to me.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 7:09 PM   #10

I'd love to travel around the whole of my own country (Australia) and intend to when Hubby and I retire. There are so many great places Ive never seen here. The other place is in Canada I think, it sounds like " the insemidees Mountains" there is a mountain named after a photographer there.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote