Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:12 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYBERYOGI =CO= Windler View Post
Isn't barrel distortion normal when the object is too close? With the WB210 the software correction isn't too great anyway (it does cause softened corners and makes sine waves instead of compensating perfectly, and its fringe residue is purple/green (because the blue/yellow part has been removed?)). Visually the WB210 isn't that much sharper than my old Jenoptik (at least when well focussed) despite 14 versus 4.1 megapixel. So I think they are already close to what is physically possible with that lens size and amount of light. The rest is software and the engineers can only choose between snow, softening or mosaic artefacts unless you get a bigger lens.
Recitlinear lenses (as opposed to fisheye lenses) deal with barrel and pincushion distortion with varrying levels of success. Good lenses do a better job that poor lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYBERYOGI =CO= Windler View Post
When taking photos of a large open music keyboard, I often do that in front of the bath tub (standing with my feet in the tub). Sometimes I rest my elbows on the tub rim to reduce shake. There is stuff stored in the tub and I think mounting a camera stand on the tub would be as awkward as taking my fullsize tripod out and adjusting the thing. (I yet only used that for video.) There isn't much space to place a tripod or lamps (i.e. no umbrella reflectors) and a large aperture would make trouble with depth of field when there is not enough space or construction prevents to lay the open keyboard flat down. Here is a typical shot (Jenoptik with ceiling lamp light) taken in this position.
You're taking photos indoors. I'm telling you that you need more light and/or longer exposure times. You can do that or not. If you want to buy a bigger heavier camera because you think you'll get better photos than you're getting now, I'd say that you might be right, but you might also experience new problems. The one thing I'm certain of is that you need more light and/or longer exposure times.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:10 AM   #42

I don't understand why people would post pictures to a contest that they don't want to be used by other sites. Posting on any public site is about the same thing as going to a county fair and leaving copies of your photos laying around and then getting upset that someone took one and used it without your permission. Throw a hand full of money into a crowd and they will take and use the money. So if someone's pictures are worth money to them, then why throw them on a free public web site? To me it's the same thing and is something I don't do with any of my gallery pictures. Okay, I haven't done any gallery work since before the Internet but I still wouldn't post any of my money making (what few there are)pictures on-line.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:58 PM   #43

To make one thing clear: *I do not sell* any pictures for making money! Money is a crime and worth to be finally abandoned - copyright even earlier. A humanity based on genuine reason will have no need for them! (I solely document cultural heritage and may put it into a time capsule somewhen.)

For better pictures I will try to build 2 lightweight lamps from warmwhite LED strips, but it may be difficult to spread the light evenly on a white (cardboard?) surface to avoid spot reflections.
MAY THE SOFTWARE BE WITH YOU! *============================================================================* I CYBERYOGI Christian Oliver(=CO=) Windler I I (teachmaster of LOGOLOGIE - the first cyberage-religion!) I I ! I *=============================ABANDON=THE=BRUTALITY==========================* {http://weltenschule.de/e_index.html}

Last edited by CYBERYOGI =CO= Windler; Feb 21, 2013 at 9:02 PM.
CYBERYOGI =CO= Windler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:19 AM   #44

I think Calicajun mistakenly posted a reply to another topic here.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:43 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Ah yes. I usually do no complain when people use photos published by me, unless they do so in misleading or fraudulent ways on eBay.

I am everything but a capitalist. The global economical system is nothing but the biggest Ponzi scheme of all and will unavoidably crash. To delay this, bankers praise eternal growth, but there is no such thing; the only thing that grows without limits is cancer, and capitalism is the cancer of the mankind. Advertising credit and giving credit to carry interest (as least to poor 3rd world countries or people without stable income) is ethically the same like giving free heroin; it only produces addiction and sufferance. Interest rate is a sin. This solely greed-driven system exploits people and the planet and drives companies to build short-lived or self-destroying products (planned obsolescence).

Shortage is theft. I am fed up with unrepairable electronics with unreplaceable batteries locked into a sealed screwless case. Nobody needs an even slightly flatter laptop (like MacBook Pro Retina) when the price for this is a totally unchangeable battery. Nobody needs even more lightweight compact cameras with long pry-prone plugs those can break the way too flimsy jack by any slight jerk at the charger cable. This is not progress. The mankind needs sustainable electronics that is long lasting and can be repaired or upgraded with exchangeable software and plugin modules once it outdates.

Last edited by CYBERYOGI =CO= Windler; Feb 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM.
CYBERYOGI =CO= Windler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:24 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

That's not were I thought I posted that reply. Wonder what I posted in thread this was suppose to have gone in as a reply?