Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:18 AM   #1

Default How to get that (impossible) shot?

I live in a very picturesque (sp?) area and also commute 1 hour (each way) to/from work each day. As a result I see many wonderful shots on a daily basis, but to get most of them would require putting my life in danger.

How do you get that shot that you know is the shot without killing yourself?

Credit: Darwin Wiggett

Do you block off traffic?

Put up signs? ("Photographer at work" which translates to "Hit the photographer!")

Wear reflective vests, set out road flares, or just run out in the middle of the road?!

Most of my commute is a four lane (2 each direction) Interstate, speed limit 65 MPH and part of my commute is a two lane US Route, speed limit 55 MPH. Even if I pull off the road and stand well off the road in a seemingly safe place or if I went back at an off peak (non-rush hour) travel time and there is a lighter volume of traffic I am still in quite a bit of danger!

What do you do when you see that "I just have to have it" type shot?
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2004, 2:21 PM   #2

Do you have to stand in the middle of the highway? Can't you shoot from your "safe" location off the road? I have taken a few pictures from a highway but nothing that cannot be taken by parking off the road (even away from the shoulder) and doing the thing quickly.

Not recommended for obvious reasons but I have also taken pictures while driving. They are normally forward looking pictures with the camera set to "landscape" mode (to force infinity focus), the LCD screen on for rough framing without taking my eyes from the road and the camera placed on top of the steering wheel. This can only be done in a straight stretch of road with little traffic. The problem with this is that the windshield must be very clean and it gives the picture a green tint that must eb corrected later.

There is this part of the year that I often see a gorgeous sunset when I come home from work. The problem is that the road goes east-west and I am going westbound. When I park on the side I cannot see the setting sun due to the banking of the road. I would have to cross four lanes and a median :shock: to get to the other side.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 2:32 PM   #3

There are some "safe" locations and some not so safe! I went out a few weeks ago, after a snow storm and took some pictures. Since traffic was very minimal, I just pulled up to the subject, rolled down the window, squeezed off a few shots, and continued on my way. Then there were a few other places that if I stopped and pulled off the road my rear end (the car's, not mine) would have been in danger! So, I guess I just have to weigh each situation and see which is best for that situation. Can I get fined for stopping on a highway (off the road, on the shoulder, out of traffic)??
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 2:41 PM   #4

I suspect that depends where you are and what kind of road.

Here(Ontario) at least, the 4+ lane highways do not permit stopping except for emergencies, and they will tag&tow if they find you.

The more rural highways (2 lane, 80Kmh-ish limit) usually won't bother you if you are quick and there is no traffic. If someone does bang into you while you are stopped, guess who gets the blame for being an obstruction.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 4:04 PM   #5

Safety is a real issue that you have to figure out from the specific place you'd like to stop.

If the problem is having cars in the shot, treat it like a panorama that is going to be stitched using layers. Since the position of the car will change, parts of another layer can be used to cover it up. Take lots of shots of the same thing, or even do a bit of a panorama while you are at it. Works well hand-held.

The oposite effect of this:
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 6:56 PM   #6

Put your digicam on a radio controlled helicopter (helicam).

http://www.rc-helicam.co.za/gallery2.asp

VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 7:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Put your digicam on a radio controlled helicopter (helicam).

http://www.rc-helicam.co.za/gallery2.asp

VOX
i'd crash it ops:
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 8:02 PM   #8

My safety and others is paramount . I may do it in in a more controled enviorment. But not when it comes to HIGHWAYS!! Events happen to Fast . We had a call once of a " Personel Injury" Accident of a person Hit by a car He was trying to take a picture of a Rainbow (we asusme) and was hit from behind, at 60mph he was just over the crest of a hill. He never had a chance, We found his Camera 50 Feet from him. I am sure He thought WOW I have got to get this shot. Not thinking of Where he was and the parrell he put himself in. The Driver could do nothing, and was not ticketed, It is just not worth it, In My travels I have come across many "Nice shots" But passed on them do to the enviroment I was in, Not only for myself but others Sharing the roadways.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote