Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 14, 2004, 1:02 AM   #1
NMH

Default Simple photo browser in CD for automatic slideshow

Hi, I have been using FotoAngelo and FlipAlbum to create slideshows in CDs and pass them to my relatives. Recently I stick to FlipAlbum because it can create multiple albums in one CD with an opening menu in a form of a bookshelf.

However, I am getting tired of compiling them (it takes a lot of time to do this).

Is there anyone who know a simple program that simply searches for any available photos in a CD and plays them as slideshow (it should auto search for music files as well)?

I only need to put this auto-play program in the CD and make it autorun upon insert into the CD drive. Photos can be in multiple folders (different album names).

I can see my DVD home theatre system searches for all the MP3 files in a data CD and play them in sequence. I think it should be able to design a software in computer that can search and play photos and music together.
NMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2004, 3:49 AM   #2

MyAlbum may be worth a look.

www.myalbum.com

You can compile slide shows as self-executing .EXEs, or you can allow it to search and thumbnail any direcrtory (and its subdirectories if required)

It will allow sound in the background. below is a description of its capabilities. I am not not sure what is involved in setting this up. Some command line syntax may be needed.

It's free (donations accepted apprently) and quite small.

Play command syntax
Play commands are used to define the music file that will be played in background when an album or a picture is displayed.

Play commands can be attached to a single picture or to an album:

Album level: the command is played when a slideshow is started (not when viewing individual pictures).
Picture level: the command is played when the corresponding picture is displayed.

The general format of a play command is (caution, no spaces before or after the vertical bars!):

Basic syntax (one line):

Play command syntax
Play commands are used to define the music file that will be played in background when an album or a picture is displayed.

Album level: the command is played when a slideshow is started (not when viewing individual pictures).
Picture level: the command is played when the corresponding picture is displayed.

The general format of a play command is (caution, no spaces before or after the vertical bars!):

Play command syntax

Basic syntax (one line):

snip

Examples:
wav|D:\TMP\Thunder.wav
Plays the specified audio file.

mid|D:\Musique\021.MID|CR
Plays the specified MIDI file and do not stop playing when picture changes and plays again when finished.
cda|-|-|from 2 to 3
Play track 2 and 3 from the current CD Audio (note the two empty '-' fields).
Nickagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 8:06 AM   #3

I just tried to go to the web site in the second post and it wouldn't let me in.
broisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 4:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by broisman
I just tried to go to the web site in the second post and it wouldn't let me in.
Sprry. I must have mistyped. try myalbumpro, as a google search easily reminded me.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 6:07 AM   #5
NMH

Default "Search and Play" software.

Nickagain,

Thank you for your information. However, back to my original question, I wish I can have a "search and play" program and place it in a data CD.

I only need to keep the photos under different folders for different album and burn them into a CD.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 7:49 AM   #6

I believe that irfanview can make an album.

I use jalbum myself, but not for albums that you put on a CD. I'm not sure how well it works for that (its great for other things, so it might do that too.)

just google search on jalbum and you'll find it quickly.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 8:17 AM   #7

Default Re: "Search and Play" software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMH
Nickagain,

Thank you for your information. However, back to my original question, I wish I can have a "search and play" program and place it in a data CD.

I only need to keep the photos under different folders for different album and burn them into a CD.
Yes. I thought I was addressing your original question. I may be misunderstanding entirely.

I still suggest you try MyAlbum. This is what it does.

As I said. Free and small to try.

OK. It can:
- allow you to compile albums,
which you can have anywhere you like, and which can be as manual or as auto as you like to compile. Name a directory and it will grab all images that are compatible. If the directory has subdirectories, then these can (will?) be included.
these can be placed on a (data) CD. The programme can reside on the (data) CD or on a machine. There may be licensing issues.

OR

- actually create a self-running exe file that _contains_ all the pictures and plays them for anyone who runs the exe, under their control, auto scroll, multi-omage, or click tp see next.
ypu can create this by placing individual pictures into an album , or by letting it simply grab all the pictures on a hard disk directory, then pressing one button to create the self-runner
your relatives then simply play the exe file, which runs the slideshow. This is a data CD

For instance, I can open the programme, select a whole directory, see thumbnails, add or delete or rearrange as much as I need, add other directories then save the album to my hard disk. I then ask to create an exectuble slideshow.. This takes a couple of minutes at most, and I can then burn that to CD. There is ieven an option to make it autorun. I then give the Cd to another person with a PC and they run the exe file, to see the shots.

5 minutes? The CD burn is probably the longest part of the process, done vanilla.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 7:55 AM   #8
NMH

Default I will try the MyAlbum

Thank you Nickagain. When I saw your long post above, I was mistakened that I have to do a lot of compiling works.

I had just downloaded MyAlbum standard version and I will try it soon.

Regards,
Old Feb 16, 2004, 8:56 AM   #9

I guess that the unanswered question here is,

How do I create an AUTORUN fill for the CD to launch MyAlbum when the disk is slipped into the CD-ROM drive?

Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to that but I'm sure that it can be done.
Yaworski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 9:00 AM   #10

Just found the answer to my question.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/di...rt_cd_qt20.htm

BTW, in my last posting, that was supposed to be "autorun file" not "autorun fill."
Yaworski is offline   Reply With Quote