Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:27 AM   #1

Default lens question

I have recently asked a questions abotu the 85mm 1.8G lens for the D90 to use at horse events and such things. FAST moving objects that may not always be in the best light. I'm totally in love with that lens, but wondering if a zoom would be better??? I just do not want to spend another 500 on a lens. I love the sharpness of a prime but I may be closer to some objects and don't want to loose them. I use a Nikon D90. I currently have the 50mm 1.8 and think maybe getting the 85 1.8 would be very similar. I also have the 18-200 AF-S. And I was going to sell my 70-210 but love the sharpness of it. So... without costing too much what lens would you suggest? Thanks
Coco_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:05 AM   #2

What you need for shooting action is a fast shutter speed.

To shoot action indoors, in order to get fast shutter speeds, you need to use higher ISO settings, risking lots of image noise, and/or large apertures.

The vast majority of zoom lenses have maximum apertures no larger than f/2.8. That's 1⅓ stops smaller than the f/1.8 you're getting now. So any shot you're getting now at ISO 800 at f/1.8 would require an ISO of 2000 at f/2.8 in order to get the same shutter speed. That would mean more than twice the noise.

At 85mm, your 70-210 has a maximum aperture of f/4, which would require an ISO of 4000 in order to get the same shutter speed, which would mean more than 4 times the noise. At 85mm, your 18-200 has a maximum aperture of f/5, so you'd need to use ISO 6400 (the upper limit of the D90) and you'd get 8 times the noise. Longer focal lengths would have smaller apertures and require even higher ISOs and/or slower shutter speeds.

The lenses you have won't do the job without incurring a significant noise penalty, and the only f/2.8 zoom lens that comes anywhere near your budget is the Tamron 70-200/2.8 at $769, and you'd still get more than twice the noise.

Last edited by TCav; Mar 20, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3

So I should go back to getting the 85mm 1.8. I will spend the $ if needed, just would prefer not have to. I'm adjusted the ISO and, yes the noise was there. The barn I'm shooting in now has natural light bouncing off a tin shed on one side and dark on the other, so it's very hard to get a good shot. Thanks again TCav!
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:33 AM   #4

You need to pick your spot so you get the best light on the subject while it's doing the movements you want to capture. That sounds like your most difficult challenge. Don't make it harder by not getting the aperture you need.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:52 AM   #5

It is, there is limited space. I've noticed when I'm shooting my horses outside in the pasture I get great shots, no noise at all... So I think my biggest challenge is the lighting.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:50 PM   #6

Is it your indoor arena (as in, you own it)?

How big is it? (Dressage rings are 60m x 20m which is an odd size for us here in the US, so unless the arena is used to host competitions, ours are generally only 20 yards wide, not meters.)

What kind and how much artificial lighting does it have?

Does it have windows/skylights? Where?

Which side faces south?

Where are the doors?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:48 AM   #7

I missed this, the arena I have been practicing in is just an old barn converted. I'll be traveling around this spring and summer to different places. Hoping most are outdoors. The other thing I need the quicker shot is with my son playing soccer. It's been so dreadful here, it's hard to get outside and get things moving to get the setting right. I used to shoot with a D5000 and one of the kit lenses I had worked amazingly on action shots. So I'm stuck, trying to make the right decision. Think I'll be buying the 85mm today (still haven't done it) and then hope my camera can get it. You shoot with the D90 too correct? You have no issues with the actual camera body not being quick enough? Sure wish I could find a D800 for an extremely good deal.