Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 14, 2004, 8:30 PM   #1

Default Pentax Optio 555 or Sony DSC V1

Hello,
I have to buy a new camera very soon, and I'm thinking about Pentax Optio 555 and Sony DSC V1. I don't know which one to choose. Their parameters are approximate but for example
the first one can't take night shots and the second one doesn't make panoramic pictures :-/

Overall I think Sony is better - what's your opinion ? Please help me to pick better from these two (or maybe another with this standard and similar price?)

(sorry for my english ops: )

greetz
Matthew

PS. The camera will be for home use - mostly to take pictures on vacations etc, I'll maybe make some outdoors and makro pictures - I'm interested in photography.

I know that both of these cameras are very good reviewed here, but I don't understand too much from it - what's worse- I have no idea how to comapre two cameras..
neme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:37 PM   #2

Default Re: Pentax Optio 555 or Sony DSC V1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neme
... the second one doesn't make panoramic pictures :-/ ...
Any camera can produce panoramas, though it is is easier if you can lock exposure and white balance. Manual settings are a good thing to have if panoramas is one of your criteria, but no special camera gee-haws are really needed.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 12:14 AM   #3

The Pentax does very well at night. This is what Digital resource said about the Pentax night shots:

“Night Shots: Outstanding low-light performance, with good color and surprisingly low noise. While primarily a consumer-oriented digicam, the Optio 555 offers a full manual exposure mode, with exposure times as long as 15 seconds. Throw in the adjustable ISO setting, and the Optio 555 is a capable camera when shooting in low lighting. In my testing, the Optio 555 produced clear, bright, usable images down to the 1/16 foot-candle (0.67 lux) limit of my test, with good color at all four ISO settings (64, 100, 200, and 400).” http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...HTM#conclusion

What the Sony has is a particularly good autofocus system for things within about 8 feet in low light. The LCD also brightens so you can almost see in the dark with it, but it doesn’t take better night shots.

You can take panorama pictures with any camera with manual exposure and white balance and there is good software to stitch it with. The panorama mode just makes it a lot easier if it is integrated with the software. I use the panorama mode on my Oly C50 often and don’t take panoramas as much on my two cameras that don’t have the panorama mode. Panorama mode does make it much easier but isn’t really necessary.

They are both excellent cameras. The Pentax has a longer zoom and will fit in your pocket. The Sony is an excellent camera and is about the smallest camera with a hot shoe – good feature if you plan to buy a flash. The Sony takes much better movies.

If I were choosing for myself I would take the Pentax because it is pocketable and I’m not big on movies. If I were considering the V1 I would also personally prefer the Canon G5. If you can’t put it in your pocket it might as well have the extra f stop for low light, a status window so you don’t have to refer to the LCD all the time, custom modes, raw and superfine JPG, flip-out LCD, CF cards and better controls IMO. But if you think you might use the movie mode often there is nothing in its class that can offer 640 X 480 movies like the Sony – even though they are a little choppy they are excellent.

SD cards have come down in price lately so they are almost as cheap as CF. The Sony Memory Stick is more pricey and has little use outside Sony products.

Dave at Imaging Resource made the 555, V1 and G5 “Dave’s Picks” of best cameras. Steve put both the 555 and G5 in his “Best of 2003” list but not the V1. Their requirements are different than yours and I wouldn’t go just on that, but it is a good sign that both included the 555 and a curious thing that Steve didn’t include the V1. They are both good cameras.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 2:33 PM   #4

Default thank You for your time and effort

Thank You guys.. I'm not decided yet.. I'll go to the shop and "play" with both of these cameras, or maybe I'll try a lottery

How is it possible Slipe that You know so much about all these cameras ? :shock: , gee - it's cool 8)

c U

BTW - anyone got these "3D images" made by Pentax Optio 555? I wonder how they looks like..
Old Feb 15, 2004, 3:01 PM   #5

Sorry - now I see that there is a nice search function

I got these pictures but can't view them :/
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=19976
I'll try later..
Old Feb 15, 2004, 3:03 PM   #6

Some samples of the 3D. I must have an eye cross disability because I can’t get them to work. Everyone else seemed to do fine though. http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=19976

Edit: I guess we were looking for it at the same time.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote