Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2004, 12:36 AM   #1

Default Zoom lenses for digicams

I'm new to digital photography (so new, in fact, that I don't yet have a digital camera.)

I'd like to eliminate the issue of interchangeable lenses that have been a plague to me in 35mm photography. I see that there are several digicams that have zoom lenses with very high optical ratios.

Is it a practical matter to buy a camera with a lens that can have the same coverage one would have using a 28-300mm lens on a 35mm camera? What are some of the cameras that offer this range?

Thanks,
Norm Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2004, 2:53 AM   #2

Default Re: Zoom lenses for digicams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Strong
Is it a practical matter to buy a camera with a lens that can have the same coverage one would have using a 28-300mm lens on a 35mm camera? What are some of the cameras that offer this range?
Unfortunately, the answer is no. This is because wide angle lenses are more difficult to design than telephoto lenses are. Those very zoom ratio lenses start with 35mm. For example, Nikon 5700/8700 has 35-280 and Panasonic FZ10 has 35-420. For these lenses, you have to buy a 0.8X wide converter to go down to 28mm. Those large ratio lenses that start with 28mm have a shorter telephoto end. For example, Canon Pro 1, Minolta A1/A2 and Sony F828 have 28-200. To reach 300mm, you will need a 1.5X teleconverter. In general, these 0.8X wide converters and 1.5X tele converters (except for Nikon's TC-E15ED) are all large and heavy. Therefore, 28-300 is possible with a converter. Whether you like it, this is the current situation.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 4:22 AM   #3

Well, it is possible, but very expensive.

The Canon EOS 1Ds does not change the effective focal length of a lens, and you could put a 28-300mm zoom on it (Canon just introduced such a lens, in fact). That's the setup I'd buy if I was very wealthy.

Within the realm of reality, there are some cameras with a 28-200mm range, like the Sony F828 and a couple Minolta models. Check out Steve's reviews of these cameras.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 10:54 AM   #4

I've had good results using the Olympus C-ultra zoom series for close-up and telephoto shots. I believe the C-740 & C-750 are current models with the C-760 due out soon. I've moved on to a Digital Rebel 300 SLR, but you can check out my website for C-730 shots (below) - all the albums except the two most recent (which were shot with the DRebel SLR) were shot with a C-730. There are several good examples of close-up shots - I've sold prints of several. The knock on the Olympus C series is that under certain conditions (strong back lighting, low light) there is purple fringing, but I found when this problem ocassionally occurs I can reduce or eliminate in Photo Shop Elements. Another thought on the zoom is that I find that I rarely use a lens at full zoom, usually for wildlife - and then I really wish I had a 400-600 mm, which I have not yet aquired. I agree - read Steve's reviews on 3-4 cameras that meet your criteria before you decide - and then don't second guess yourself, just learn how to use it. I believe that good photos are 75% photographer and 25% equipment. I hope this helps.

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote