Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2004, 11:54 AM   #1

Default Housebound Northerners

Those of us living where the cold wind doth blow are waiting for spring, our cameras spending far too much idle time. I got thinking about this a little while ago, and then remembered a book I read at some point in the (cold) dark past where I found the wonderful notion of self-created assignments. For instance, pick a color, then take photos with that color as a dominant part of a group of pictures. Or how about a series done on hands? Water? Portraits of a person that don't actually include the person? The list is long. Texture. Paper. Things no one ever thinks about because they're always there. Sharp things or soft things. Food, yes, there's always food. Windows and doors. Verticals or horizontals. Dark objects on dark backgrounds, or the reverse using light objects. On and on it goes, and it's all around you.

So, the heck with spring. Ready, aim, fire.

(Oh, all right. You folks in places where it never gets cold can do this too.)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2004, 3:06 PM   #2

I was thinking about sticking to my back yard. Because it's so easy to get to, I can go out on the only day before it gets cold again... basically using what I've got because is so easy it doesn't take any time.

My other goal is to get a good shot of my cat and already posted a sorta-joke one here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=21278

She isn't getting any younger.

But doing more interesting things in the house is an idea. It would also work to stretch my skills. Taking pictures I wouldn't have done can teach you things.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 3:29 PM   #3

Yes, I saw your kitty ghoul picture. How do you suppose she'd feel if she knew her person had trashed her image on the Internet?

Quote:
Taking pictures I wouldn't have done can teach you things.
There's both this and the fact that we can get into mental ruts. For those of us in the North, I think February can be a very uncreative month. We're cranky with the weather, we want to take photos, but we've lost the gumption required to freeze fingers, toes, and what-all outside. Cabin fever may even set in.

That's why I made this post. Mostly, I was giving myself the grief but willing to share it in case anyone else needed some too.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 4:37 PM   #4

My lack of shooting has been because both my knees have decided to swell up (To refer to "The Grinch who stold christmas" "And on that day his knees grew two sizes two big!") which have prevented me from going very far by foot. I've still gone out, and paid for it by reading "Moma Makes up her Mind" while I ice my knees for an hour or more. All swelling and no play make Eric a grumpy boy. (Of course, I'm one of those silly people who went shooting when it was 9 degrees, without the windchill. I lasted just a bit over an hour, but I photographed a bird I'd never seen before so it was worth it.)

Shooting around the house is something I can definitely do.

Another thing I've noticed has to do with what I shoot. Mostly butter flies, birds, some dragon flies... other animals (frogs?) if they strike my fancy. So I'd safely say wildlife. But there is an interesting aspect to that shooting I've been thinking about; The use of the subject in the picture. I have one, ready made... little thought involved. I think this has made me a lazy photographer. Shooting things around the house will, hopefully, make me really have to think about more aspects of photography. Make or really think and choose the subject. Composition matters more, too.

It could be a very interesting exercise.

Eric
Old Feb 15, 2004, 5:37 PM   #5

Most of us have favorite photographic subjects. Mine is people, but I just haven't quite gotten the hang of pointing my camera at them without having them hide, so most of my people pictures are of my son who just naturally ignores me. If only I could get that long lens for my camera... But couldn't I find the huge bag of stuffed animals my son had when he was a toddler? Couldn't I use them to study lighting?

You're right about having an in-house subject. You could turn yourself into a plague in your cat's mind. Do you have several bird feeders near (clean) windows? You could just sit there with your feet up, lurking, waiting for your subjects to come to you.

Still, who knows what we could find around the house to perk up our interest and to use as a learning experience.

Some months ago, I got thinking about police photographers, which led me to the idea of evidence, which in turn brought to mind all the subtle bits of evidence just lying around a house. I found half-read books, a small pile of dirty dishes, a line of boots in the furnace room, a scattering of dried leaves around a plant in the living room, and more that doesn't come immediately to mind. Each was photographed, and though most of the pictures ended up being tossed, that line of boots turned out rather nicely. Another day, I went around the house looking for light instead of objects, and again, most of the photos got tossed, but one picture caught the early morning light glancing off the white table in the still dark kitchen. Thirty photos, a single good one. It was worth it. I learned to see light that day.

But do take care of those knees.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 5:52 PM   #6

Great minds must think alike!!! lol today I shot a, Guage on a Blood pressure cuff, a wheel on wooden truck and a Horse shoe, I then put them in fille called "STUFF" with the other 400 or so images. Its been a long winter.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 6:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy43
Great minds must think alike!!! lol today I shot a, Guage on a Blood pressure cuff, a wheel on wooden truck and a Horse shoe, I then put them in fille called "STUFF" with the other 400 or so images. Its been a long winter.
Yes, it's been a very, very long winter, and creating a file named "Stuff" is a symptom of awful desperation. If this winter continues too much longer, we'll be taking pictures of the pictures that are on our monitors. (They're coming to take us away, ha-ha!)
Old Feb 15, 2004, 8:40 PM   #8

Hi Barbara,

You forgot about a friend of us Northerners, Jack Frost. He decorates our windows with unbelievable beauty. I have just started taking pictures of his work and have a lot to learn. Here is one I took today. Its not very good but, I think you get the idea.
http://members.ll.net/aeholt/pix/jack2.jpg

Arvid
Central Minnesota
oldradioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 10:34 PM   #9

Winter Bah Humbug.
I can't wait for the first snows evey year.
Then the age problems kick in and the prospects of going out in absolute zero makes you sit in front of a fireplace instead.

So far this year I've killed 2 film bodies a real old canon A1 I had repaired(ouch), and a eos 650 not worth fixing. Both shutter box failures at -30c.

Teach me to go out and shoot icycles on local century+ houses, the icycles are huge this year.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 11:36 PM   #10

bcoultry

Actually, I've done that. I have a nice male cardnal, that I posted here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=17837

And I have a matching female cardnal that I haven't edited up yet.... I'm so far behind in editing it isn't even funy. Taking the pictures is so much more enjoyable than editing.

But I think I'd like to stretch my mind and try other subjects. It's interesting that when you listed that set of pictures the line of shoes caught my imagination... and it worked for you too.

Eric