Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2004, 3:28 PM   #1

Default I need help picking out a digi cam! :)

Here's the deal...I own an Olympus D460 camera and would like to upgrade. I would consider myself to be an intermediate camera user and would like an easy point and shoot camera with maybe a few extra features to get semi fancy here and there. I've read all of the reviews but I still like to hear peoples opinions before buying. Right now I'm looking at the Canon A80 and the Nikon Coolpix 4300. Any suggestions? Are there better cams out there then these two? Also, I'm looking to spend under $450. Any advice would be extremely helpful.

One last question...I did notice that both of these cams have 3x Optical Zoom. Is that too low for mostly basic shooting??
sugamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2004, 3:52 PM   #2

I like the flip out LCD on the A80. I also prefer the better mode dial with the 2 custom mode settings.

Include the price of a 256Mb CF card for either and a charger and NiMH batteries for the A80. One-use batteries will eat you out of house and home.

3X zoom is OK. More is better, but you can do fine with 3X.

I have cameras with 3X, 7X and 12X and take more pictures with the 3X because it is small and I always have it with me. Take a look at the Minolta G500 if you want to consider a pocket camera. It is very functional with manual, aperture priority and shutter priority. Even has some preset manual focus settings. Good flash and decent low light focus. I think the Minolta 414 is also a bargain with 4Mp and 4X zoom. It is a bit of a battery hog but spare NiMH batteries are cheap. It is also bigger and heavier than the two you are considering. I really like the continuous focus mode on my two cameras that have it and get a lot of blurred shots of random motion rugrats and people at gatherings using the camera without it. The 414 has continuous focus.

I donít think there is a better camera than the A80 in that price range overall, but was just offering some alternatives.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 7:15 PM   #3

I don't know much about the A80, but have owned a 4300 for a couple of years. Picture quality and ease of use are both excellent. I felt a little limited by the zoom (I buy cheap seats at sporting events) and bought a FZ-10, but still use the 4300 because it is so small and easily slips into a pocket. I don't think you'd go wrong with either camera.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 7:23 PM   #4

thanks! i'm mostly looking to bring the camera on vacations, outdoors, out with friends, etc. if i decide later on that i really want to get into photography some more...i'll get a more advanced camera but for now i want something pretty simple. thanks for your advice!
sugamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 8:39 AM   #5

I'm a newbie to digi cams but I have to say that I'm very impressed with my Canon S-400. It takes GREAT pics and it's small enough to drop in your pocket. It's a lot easier to use than I was thinking. It has some manual settings but the auto mode rarely fails to take a sharp picture. I'm having more fun with it that I've had with any camera or camcorder. I got a 512 mb card and it's almost unlimited shooting too. The prices have dropped on this model also.

Rick
Rick F is offline   Reply With Quote